Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Tutall Tutall is offline

Default Brinkman single stack smoker

On Mar 20, 5:55*pm, gregz > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:20 -0700, Kent wrote:

> >> Water burns off as it simmers. If you keep the volume of water constant, the
> >> ongoing simmer will result in a stable temp.

> > Total bullshit. *Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. *Most of
> > the heat goes around the water pan. *No water is going to stop the
> > amount of heat coming up from under the pan.

> > Put a *5" pan full of water on an 8" gas burner. *Cycle the gas output
> > from Mark 1 to Mark 5. *Keep your arm over he top of the pan. *What
> > happens, Kent?

> > Where's my gun?

> > -sw

> Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
> water sucks heat.

Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
on their WSM straight up like that.
Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
them.

However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
up with alu foil.

And in all cases, the general concencus is that water gives the meat
an off flavor, adds too much moisture into the equation and does no
good, your better off with something else as a heat sink. However,
experiment on your own. Shit, I think most of us were told this and
had to find out for ourselves. Not myself of course, I learned the
hard way on my own that water makes the meat seem swampy. I'm stupid
smart like that; doing dumb stuff without asking.

Anyway, I'm told there's some forums on the weber website for WSM
where there's a ton of info on this.