Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@verizon.net is offline

Default Pork Shoulder.

On 19-Mar-2012, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:11:26 -0500, Calvin Atwood wrote:
>
> > I have been given a cyropacked,10 lb, bone in pork shoulder. It has
> > been brined? (it says solution added - 5 to 8% by weight - for
> > tenderness). It also has the skin on.
> >
> > I want to BBQ/smoke it and end up with pulled pork with a nice bark.
> > However, I've not done a shoulder like this before. I usually do
> > boneless pork butts. I have a feeling that I should remove the skin
> > and treat it like a butt. But, before I start I'd like some input
> > from the group.
> >
> > So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to treat this.

> Lightly cross-hatch the fat cap all the way around, but don't remove
> it. Then treat it just as you would a butt. Injected/brined/doesn't
> matter much when it comes to a shoulder (as long as there's no
> phosphates in the brine).
>
> There's much more waste on a picnic shoulder than a butt portion, so
> be prapared for that. Expect to lose 45-50% of a 10lber when it's all
> said and done (smaller ones have even more waste).
>
> -sw

I get so frustrated by this terminology. A shoulder by definition must
include a joint. Therefore, there must be a portion above and below
the joint to constitute a shoulder. Typically this would be a picnic
connected to a butt. So what are we talking about here? Picnics
usually include skin, butts do not.

Be that as it may. Treat it like a butt. Cook it until it reaches your
preferred pulling temperature. Don't mess with the skin until it's
done. It doesn't really matter if it's a picnic a butt or a whole
pork shoulder, it will cook the same. It will be done when it
is done.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)