Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Salt for Salt (was brining a brisket)

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> >I use Baliene Fine as well. How can the density be the same as
>>Morton's kosher salt? I would expect it to be much higher since the
>>grains are finer than table salt. I guess it's more of a crushed up
>>Diamond kosher salt?

> Forgive me please, I'm a geologist so I know about this stuff. In a
> granular material like processed salt (or beach sand, or gravel),
> grain size doesn't determine bulk density. Size sorting does. i.e.,
> if you fill a room with basketballs, there's a certain portion of
> voids between the balls. Fill the same room with volley balls,
> softballs, baseballs, golf balls, marbles, or BBs, the void ratio
> stays the same, as long as the balls are of uniform size. BUT, if you
> fill the room with a mix of balls, then the little balls fill the
> voids between the big balls, the bulk density increases, and the void
> space decreases.
>
> In these processed salt products, the grain size is very consistent.
> The bulk density differences are due to different crystal structures
> and milling processes.
>
> There's more to tell, but I'll shut up.
>

>>> So, brand matters for kosher salt. And Kosher vs. table matters.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow, PEPPER!

>>Lets measure the density of the rocks in Kent's skull instead.
>>
>>-sw

Kosher salt grains are larger than table salt and are of irregular shape.
I'd guess there is more air between the grains. That's "void" I guess. The
Kosher grain may be less dense than the table salt grain.

I just weighed Morton's table salt and came up with 1.3 ounce by weight to 1
ounce by volume, for a specific gravity of 1.3. One ounce by volume of table
salt is therefore 4.06% by weight per 32 oz quart of water and 8.13% for two
ounces of salt per quart.

Thanks for your post. I've seen the figure 2.15 attached to the words "table
salt". I can't find the 1.028 figure, though I'm sure you're right on.

Kent