Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default New favorite kale recipe; was: Greens, greens, the magical...

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote:
>
>>Chop garlic and let it sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting
>>properties.

> ???? Really? Is that some 'common knowledge' that has passed me
> by?

First I've heard of it.

> I like kale because it tastes good-- I didn't know it was 'health
> food'.

It's a low carb favorite. It's a member of the cabbage family so it is
high in most vitamins. It's closer to the original wild ancestor than
its highly modified cousins like cauliflower and kohlrabi so it's lower
in carbs even among the cabbage family. As a result its vitamin per
calorie or vitamin per carb gram ratio is among the highest of any food.
Kale is a nutritional rock star because of that.

Another nutritional rock star mentioned here is garlic. Small enough to
have a tiny calorie or carb count but jam packed with antioxidants.