Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Greens, greens, the magical...

On Feb 24, 9:07*pm, Bob Terwilliger >
wrote:
> I'm growing bored with the usual ways of preparing greens like chard,
> kale, mustard greens, or collard greens.
>
> I've tried kale and chard raw in salads. I've slow-cooked all of them
> with bacon or ham. I've had kale with mushrooms and lentils. For Lundi
> Gras I cooked collard greens and mustard greens with carrots, onions,
> and andouille. I've cooked them "agrodolce" with onions, red wine
> vinegar, raisins, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts. I've made gratins
> out of them. I've cooked them plain and served them topped with chopped
> hard-boiled eggs or as filling in an omelet (usually with cheese). I've
> made gumbo z'herbes with them. I've used braised kale as a hot dog
> topping (kind of an improved sauerkraut). I've had chard/ricotta gnudi
> and ravioli. I've had chard steamed, chilled, and sprinkled with sesame
> oil and sesame seeds. I've had greens with béchamel sauce, mornay sauce,
> coconut curry sauce, and hot sauce. I've even had the rather odd
> "tourtes de Blettes", which is a kind of chard/apple tart. And while
> each one has been good in its own way (not so much that tart thing,
> though), I want something new to do with them.
>
> Anybody out there have an unusual and tasty way of preparing any of them?
>
> Bob

I made a big pot of cauliflower mash and I had some leftovers. I
decided to wash and chop some kale leaves and saute them with a bit of
butter salt and pepper. I put a lid on the skillet and let them
steam on low for about 5 minutes. Then I mixed in the cauliflower
mash and let it heat through in the skillet.

It was delicious. A twist on colcannon. Very tasty.