Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Horseradish revisited

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:11:13 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article <558fab62-625c-4c3c-9995-
>, says...
>>
>> On Feb 24, 11:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>

>> > The ingredient on mild, hot and Xtra hot horseradish will all be same,
>> > Alfie. *The heat is dependent on how long after crushing that they add
>> > the vinegar to "fix" the heat level. *It's a similar process or
>> > mustard.

>> I never made horseradish from scratch. It seems like it would be
>> a simple procedure, but I could be wrong. How many ingredients
>> typically go into a horseradish mix, and what are they?

> Finely grated horseradish root, wine vinegar, mustard, sour cream.

?? Mine has horseradish, white vinegar and a splash of sugar. and
much grinding.

I wouldn't waste time on grocery store root, though. If you can't
dig your own in the spring, ask around or go to a farmers market.

> Wash your hands very well after grating raw root. Do not wipe your eyes
>touch your lips or go for a pee before you wash your hands.. you'll be
>sorreeeee :-)especially if you're a chap.

And, if you do it in a food processor- don't stick your nose in to
smell it. Wave your hand over the top to get a bit of the smell
to your nose. If you have good root, a solid whiff will knock you
right out. [or at least make you think you've been knocked out-
DAMHIKT]

Jim