Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Horseradish revisited

I purchased some horseradish today. Sielski's brand from wherever. There
was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
the heat content. So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
what I wanted. It is crazy hot. Why can't they sell regular, mild
horseradish where I go shopping? And why do they not label their
horseradish correctly? I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
in what they have to say. I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? I had
extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.

--
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
they do not want to hear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2012 8:56 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I purchased some horseradish today. Sielski's brand from wherever. There
> was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
> the heat content. So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
> what I wanted. It is crazy hot. Why can't they sell regular, mild
> horseradish where I go shopping? And why do they not label their
> horseradish correctly? I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
> in what they have to say. I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
> crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? I had
> extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.

I like crazy hot. My suggestion is that you cut the product with a
little mayo. Adding a little sugar would probably help make it tasty. I
bet you could coat some fish fillets with this mixture, dredge them in
bread crumbs and fry. That would probably taste nutty good - bloody good
if you're in the UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 10:56*am, "A Moose in Love"
> wrote:
> I purchased some horseradish today. *Sielski's brand from wherever. *There
> was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
> the heat content. *So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
> what I wanted. *It is crazy hot. *Why can't they sell regular, mild
> horseradish where I go shopping? *And why do they not label their
> horseradish correctly? *I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
> in what they have to say. *I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
> crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? *I had
> extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.
>
> --
> If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
> they do not want to hear.
> George Orwell

Real horseradish is hot. Man up, wussy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> On Feb 21, 10:56*am, "A Moose in Love"
> > wrote:
> > I purchased some horseradish today. *Sielski's brand from wherever. *There
> > was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
> > the heat content. *So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
> > what I wanted. *It is crazy hot. *Why can't they sell regular, mild
> > horseradish where I go shopping? *And why do they not label their
> > horseradish correctly? *I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
> > in what they have to say. *I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
> > crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? *I had
> > extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.
> >
> > --
> > If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what
> > they do not want to hear.
> > George Orwell

> > ---

> Real horseradish is hot. Man up, wussy.

so this is his same complaint as last time, so it's hard to say why he calls it
"revisited", but once again he is openly admitting that he is incapable of
reading the ingredient list on the container.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:47:31 -0800, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>
> > so this is his same complaint as last time, so it's hard to say why he
> > calls it
> > "revisited", but once again he is openly admitting that he is incapable of
> > reading the ingredient list on the container.

> The ingredient on mild, hot and Xtra hot horseradish will all be same,
> Alfie. The heat is dependent on how long after crushing that they add
> the vinegar to "fix" the heat level. It's a similar process or
> mustard.
>
> -sw

but mousie, he doesn't know that and he didn't and won't read the ingredient
list which is his second mistake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:56:42 PM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I purchased some horseradish today. Sielski's brand from wherever. There
> was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
> the heat content. So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
> what I wanted. It is crazy hot. Why can't they sell regular, mild
> horseradish where I go shopping? And why do they not label their
> horseradish correctly? I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
> in what they have to say. I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
> crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? I had
> extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.

All horseradish is hot unless it's very stale. Read the ingredients list. You can tell if there's much to dilute the heat.

Jerry
--
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to
one who is striking at the root. — Henry David Thoreau.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 24, 11:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> The ingredient on mild, hot and Xtra hot horseradish will all be same,
> Alfie. *The heat is dependent on how long after crushing that they add
> the vinegar to "fix" the heat level. *It's a similar process or
> mustard.

I never made horseradish from scratch. It seems like it would be
a simple procedure, but I could be wrong. How many ingredients
typically go into a horseradish mix, and what are they? If it's not a
hassle, I wouldn't mind seeing some simple horseradish recipes here.
I remember it being around my grandparents kitchen when I was a kid,
the fresh stuff, but I never watched it being used in anything and am
pretty ignorant when it comes to it's uses and how it can be blended.
One of my few experience with horseradish is in a friend's homemade
cocktail sauce. I like the kick of it. Anybody have any fresh
horseradish recipes if it's not a hassle?

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <24243973.2343.1330406184242.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vblb5>,
Jerry Avins > wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:56:42 PM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > I purchased some horseradish today. Sielski's brand from wherever. There
> > was x-tra hot, hot, and this stuff that I bought that wasn't labled as to
> > the heat content. So I assumed that it was a mild horseradish, which is
> > what I wanted. It is crazy hot. Why can't they sell regular, mild
> > horseradish where I go shopping? And why do they not label their
> > horseradish correctly? I e-mailed the importing company, and am interested
> > in what they have to say. I mean if this stuff which was not labled is
> > crazy hot, then how hot is their hot, and extra hot horseradish? I had
> > extra hot once, and this stuff that I have is pretty bloody close.

> All horseradish is hot unless it's very stale. Read the ingredients list. You
> can tell if there's much to dilute the heat.
>
> Jerry

but moose can't be bothered with reading the ingredients list
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:

> I remember it being around my grandparents kitchen when I was a kid,
> the fresh stuff, but I never watched it being used in anything and am
> pretty ignorant when it comes to it's uses and how it can be blended.

Horseradish works fine sliced very thin or grated very finely or crushed
to a paste. There's no need to make it into anything when using it as
long as it's used carefully taking the tolerance of everyone into
account. Different people have vastly different tolerances and there
does not seem to be any resistance built up the way there is with
capsicum.

> One of my few experience with horseradish is in a friend's homemade
> cocktail sauce. I like the kick of it. Anybody have any fresh
> horseradish recipes if it's not a hassle?

I have finely grated horseradish and mixed it into that mild Heinz
"Chilli Sauce" that's hardly stronger than ketchup. Be cautioned that
raw horseradish is thermonuclear hot so it needs to be used in far
smaller quantities than you think if you've never used it straight
before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:11*am, Janet > wrote:

> * Wash your hands very well after grating raw root. Do not wipe your eyes
> touch your lips or go for a pee before you wash your hands.. you'll be
> sorreeeee :-)especially if you're a chap.

Thanks, I went through that with hot peppers once. Got some in my
eye another time. But the one I got taking that pee - back in my 20s
- I endured it a while thinking it would pass, but it didn't, and I
wound up lying in the bath tub for about half an hour with it. Maybe
what we need for certain foods - above and beyond the mere apron - is
the food suit - a plastic outfit with built-in goggles that stretches
over one's entire body, covering the hands and face and all bare skin,
yet thin enough to get that hands on feeling while dicing and slicing.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:03*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> And, if you do it in a food processor- don't stick your nose in to
> smell it. * * *Wave your hand over the top to get a bit of the smell
> to your nose. * * If you have good root, a solid whiff will knock you
> right out.

That was a good advertisement. Forget cooking the stuff, just put
it under your nose and drift off into a knockout world without
troubles or woes.

Gimme sum dat radish man,
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:30*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> > * Wash your hands very well after grating raw root. Do not wipe your eyes
> > touch your lips or go for a pee before you wash your hands.. you'll be
> > sorreeeee :-)especially if you're a chap.

> Wear goggles!

Or simply remove your eyes and take your act to the Food Channel as
the world's first and certainly finest blind chef.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:34*am, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> I have finely grated horseradish and mixed it into that mild Heinz
> "Chilli Sauce" that's hardly stronger than ketchup. *Be cautioned that
> raw horseradish is thermonuclear hot so it needs to be used in far
> smaller quantities than you think if you've never used it straight
> before.

I know in my post I said i never made it, or maybe I said I never
had it, but in reality I recall having it several times as a kid, just
as you say, unadorned, and I always liked it. But I know it doesn't
go with just anything. You're right, it's good to be careful.
Monitor stuff. I remember once when I first started a job driving cab
in L.A., I used to find one new restaurant a week to try - as long as
it wasn't beyond me financially. I went one week into an Indian place
and got the lamb stew. They asked how I wanted the heat - mild,
medium, or hot - and I said hot without hesitation. Ruined the meal.
Couldn't blame them, they asked. I could endure the heat, but it
overwhelmed the meal even taste-wise and was a chore to put down.

Tears fell that day from the eyes of Mr. Macho,
TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:43*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> My dad just freezes the roots and grinds it as needed by hand- on a
> sandwich, into a dish. * No additives needed. * * he digs it in the
> spring, and though it is losing a little bite by now, it is still
> better than store-bought.

I remember the raw stuff ground up on a plate of food, but I can't
recall where exactly or what side of the family. I've had it, but
never prepared it myself, even the easy way, just grinding it up
plain. Thanks to all.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 5:02*am, Andy > wrote:

> That reminds me of my nephew's bachelor party.
>
> We rented two motel rooms, rented a party bus and made the rounds to a
> few strip clubs.
>
> I had stopped at a sex shop and purchased a "human condom." It was a
> latex condom that unrolled to about six feet long and about two feet in
> diameter.
>
> Gathered at the motel I passed it around. "Whoever falls asleep first
> when we get back wears it!"
>
> My nephew (not the bachelor de jur) passed out first. We took before and
> after pictures of him. We cut a slit in the condom from head to toe so we
> could just drape it over him and not have to roll it around him. It was
> done very quickly so he didn't suffocate. It was a great success. He was
> a good sport about it as we paraded him in front of a gathering of wives
> and girlfriends passing the photographs around. They loved it. For more
> laughs, I produced the "human condom" for all to see. They all tried it
> on and the laughter didn't stop for a good while. More photographs were
> taken. The men all laughed along. When's the last time you saw your wife
> in a condom?
>
> I assembled a photo collage with numbers and a "Human Condoms" list of
> credits with numbers and names of the eager participants. I had it
> enlarged and framed and presented it to my nephew and niece. They were
> blindsided by the gesture. My niece began to cry. For a short while it
> achieved "museum worthiness" on their living room wall.
>
> Tommy Joe had to mention a body suit! The memories came back in an
> instant.
>
> One of the most enjoyable pleasures of my life. It certainly warmed a lot
> of hearts. It's the least I could do!

I always thought it would be cool to be a human dick in a
parade, just bouncing along and rolling and dipping side to side, my
face hidden up around the mid-shaft region of the lightweight costume
- my exuberance and happiness displayed not by face of sound, but by
the body language that guides the big parading prick merrily down the
street. Your story was enjoyable. I enjoy playing games of that type
as well, even more so when I was younger. I think if everyone had
first shot a load into the condom-suit it might have been funnier. I
mean, you were at a strip club, right? Everyone probably came away
from it a bit hyped up. Why let it go to waste?

Fill that suit with 'jacu-juice, then cut your married nephew loose.
The ties that bind,
TJ

Horseradish cybercat General Cooking 25 20-08-2008 09:48 PM
Horseradish Andiez Preserving 9 30-06-2008 07:56 PM
horseradish SMParker General Cooking 4 17-04-2005 02:05 AM
horseradish suggestions? Lyn Murray Preserving 0 21-09-2004 09:22 PM
Horseradish wolf Preserving 1 26-10-2003 02:28 AM