Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog[_2_] Anders Tørneskog[_2_] is offline

Default Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese 1976 Staatsweinguter

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i melding

> In fact there was so much auslese and above in 1976 that some are
> rumored to have sold some of their wine entitled to be called auslese
> as spatlese just so they would have some spatlese to sell. So far as I
> can determine, this would be quite legal in 1976.

The above is correct to my knowledge too. The current habit of downclassing
(labeling lower than actual amount of sugar in the juice) was not very
widespread then - but nor was it illegal, and I seem to recall vintners
telling they did so that year.

Another reason for such downclassing is to offer a wine well positioned to
be considered as 'better' than others of same labeling...

Anders