Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese 1976 Staatsweinguter

I had only one bottle of Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese
1976, Verwaltung der Staatsweinguter, Eltville. There were no fill or
cork issues.

The color is bright gold. The bouquet is extremely intense with only
moderate old Riesling character. The bouquet and taste remind me of
very ripe white peaches with some mixed floral character with mixed
spices reminding me of those in pickled peaches, but without any
vinegar character. There also was honey. The wine was rather sweet. In
most other years, I would bet this wine was an auslese if served
blind.

In fact there was so much auslese and above in 1976 that some are
rumored to have sold some of their wine entitled to be called auslese
as spatlese just so they would have some spatlese to sell. So far as I
can determine, this would be quite legal in 1976. There are certain
minimum sugar contents, etc that must be met at the various quality
levels, but there seems to be no restriction in labeling a wine
entitled to be an auslese as a spatlese, since it exceeds the minimum
sugar, etc allowed for a spatlese. Of course I have no way to know if
that was the case for this wine.