Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default "Fried food heart risk 'a myth' (as long as you use olive oil orsunflower oil)"

On Feb 6, 3:06*am, Michael Siemon > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *sf > wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 23:37:38 -0800, Michael Siemon
> > > wrote:

> > > I find canola/rape-seed oil intolerable - partly in flavor (not really
> > > either rancid or fishy, just "off" somehow), and with a somehow "sticky"
> > > or viscous texture that is almost as off-putting as the flavor. My most
> > > common cooking oil is peanut oil, which has none of the objectionable
> > > qualities of canola.

> > To me, they're virtually the same in flavor.

> I guess this is like the cilantro thingy; possibly it _is_ genetic.
>
> But I will _never_ use canola oil. I find it quite loathsome. I have
> no problems with any other oil I have tried to cook with (e.g., corn
> oil is fine, but I gather peanut oil is [a bit] healthier). Grape seed
> oil is a tad better to my taste than peanut oil, but it is harder to
> find and tends to be more expensive. I get gallons of peanut oil from
> Safeway -- Planters is outrageously and pointlessly expensive. Peanut
> (aka "ground nut") oil seems to be (or to have been when I was there)
> _the_ standard cooking oil in SE Asia.

Canola is actually more healthful than peanut, but I use peanut anyway
for frying because I dislike the flavor of canola too. For salad oil,
it's worth paying for pecan, hazelnut, macadamia, almond or avocado.
Peanut is $12-$14 a gallon at the supermarket, those other oils cost
over $30 with shipping online, so I'm not going to use them to fry if
I'll be tossing the oil afterward.

--Bryan