Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default "Fried food heart risk 'a myth' (as long as you use olive oil orsunflower oil)"

On Feb 1, 6:41*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 1/27/2012 12:31 AM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > It amazes me how much real research there is on fats, and how clueless
> > most people who write shit are.
> > Olive oil is extremely good. *Hazelnut, pecan, almond, avocado,
> > hickory, and canola are also great--though I happen not to like the
> > taste of canola. *Sunflower oil is not, unless it is the newfangled
> > high-oleic sunflower oil. *Most common primarily saturated fats are
> > fine, with the exception of those high in palmitic and myristic acids.
> > Canola is a "newfangled" oil, bred to be high in oleic acid,
> > essentially high oleic rapeseed

> You missed a healthful one -- walnut oil. *Can't cook with it though.

Actually, walnut is not particularly healthful. I was surprised to
find that out myself.
http://curezone.com/foods/fatspercent.asp
It is relatively high in linoleic, and relatively low in oleic. It
is, in fact, almost identical to soybean oil, just without the nasty
taste. That's no reason not to use *roasted* walnut oil for
flavoring, but pecan is a far better choice for everyday use, and the
non-roasted (neutral tasting) walnut oil has nothing good to offer.

--Bryan