Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Matcha Japanese Green Tea Powder

Alan4001 > wrote:
>Have you tried Matcha? It's Japanese green tea and it's powder, so you
>prepare it kind like coffee (you don't use a tea box). Apparently it's
>great for your health and also for concentration and energy boost. Great
>for coffee drinkers, yoga lovers and anyone looking for a healthy energy
>drink during an intense day.

The problem is that so much of the matcha sold in the US is actually
Taiwanese tea powder, or it's been cut with Taiwanese tea powder. It
doesn't have the flowery scent that real matcha has, or it has been greatly
reduced.

I actually found the higher grade matcha from Upton's to be pretty respectable.
It has become our tea of choice for making green tea ice cream, believe it
or not.

You'd think that in ice cream it wouldn't really matter if you used cheap
tea, but the difference was really very substantial in an A-B test.
--scott