Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default "Fried food heart risk 'a myth' (as long as you use olive oil orsunflower oil)"

On Jan 25, 11:15*pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:55:13 -0500, "Christopher M."
>
> > wrote:
> >http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ied-food-heart...

> Might be news to some... but not for everyone.
> Oh but "as long as you use olive oil or sunflower oil". So now they're
> saying fried food is okay, but saturated fats are still bad. Give them
> another decade and they might catch up to reality.

It amazes me how much real research there is on fats, and how clueless
most people who write shit are.
Olive oil is extremely good. Hazelnut, pecan, almond, avocado,
hickory, and canola are also great--though I happen not to like the
taste of canola. Sunflower oil is not, unless it is the newfangled
high-oleic sunflower oil. Most common primarily saturated fats are
fine, with the exception of those high in palmitic and myristic acids.
Canola is a "newfangled" oil, bred to be high in oleic acid,
essentially high oleic rapeseed.
Frying potatoes in any oil can be problematic because of acrylamide:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...lamide-in-food
Partially hydrogenated oils are awful, as they are the only fats that
contain more than tiny levels of elaidic acid. But don't just believe
the guy with the blue hair (me). This info is easy to find on the
net.

--Bryan