Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Pinto Beans

Kalmia wrote:
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> When my wife and I got married we put a pinto bean in a jar every time
>> we "did it" for the first year we were married. Then the next year we
>> took a bean out of the jar every time we "did it" to see if we were
>> "doing it" more or less. We've been married thirty years now, I'm
>> still taking beans out of the jar!

I first heard that one with nickels in the jar. Must have been 30+
years ago. I bet the first time it was ever told it was pebbles in a
woven basket because ceramics had not yet been invented. It's a story
as old as the institution of marriage, but it's a fictional story.

> You're the first person I know who ever said they did the bean jar
> experiment. I used to beg new brides to try it but they all just
> laughed. They way I heard it, you'd never empty the jar in the second
> year of marriage. Thirty years tho is really surprising.

I doubt he actually put beans in the jar or otherwise counted. It's a
joke. I know a fair number of men who if their marriage got that bad
they would get divorced. I know at least a couple friends who had it at
the top of their list of reasons justifying filing for divorce.