Joe Ae

Default Dry Corks

Denis

I'll follow your advice and examine the next bunch of corks I buy.

I have bought some Italian wines (MASI) with synthetic corks but I haven't
seen them for sale. Also the commercial wines have nice long smooth corks
again I haven't found any like that at the winemaking shops.
Are home winemakers destined to sort through corks that have been rejected
by the wineries?

Joe

"Denis Marier" > wrote in message
> Corks are on their way out. When buying corks I always ask for a sample.
> Then I cut it in two halves and sand the faces to look at the quality of

the
> corks. Acceptable corks are the one made with particles and then bonded
> together with a food safe cementing agent. Now in 2004 the quality of

pure
> corks is too low and may impair the taste of your wine. I have been

giving
> some # 9 synthetic corks for testing? I will slowly move to aluminum

screw
> caps. Now I am on the look out for screw top bottles and for the
> standardized caps.
>
> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > thanks for all suggestions.
> > The problem is that good corks are hard to find in my area. Any

> suggestions
> > for a good supplier of corks.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > "Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > It's not the cellar, it's the corks. The top is all that is exposed
> > > to air, it's not a lot of surface area. Most cellars atre dryer in
> > > the winter than summer, it's not a big deal. Good corks should be soft
> > > enough to squeeze between your fingers.
> > > Regards,
> > > Joe

> removal.