Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Meat Grinder Recommendation?

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:28:34 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>merryb > wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

>A repost, just as applicable in this case...
>
>From what I gather, there is now only one 110V non-commercial meat
>grinder/mincer on the American market which is not produced in
>China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan Panasonic MK-G20NR-W (available on
>Amazon).
>
>In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. I
>like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
>Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
><http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Grinder >.
>This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
>anything about this particular retailer. Otherwise, these mincers may
>have to be ordered from abroad.
>
>Victor

I have that Moulinex (2nd one listed at that cite), if it can be
obtained at that price ($85) buy it, it's a wonderful grinder. It's
made in France, I bought mine when on a vacation in Canada 20 years
ago and paid more than $85. A few years ago I upgraded to a larger
grinder, the Waring Pro... the larger the grinder the better the
grind. Cabela's has a large selection of grinders to suit all needs.
Don't even consider that toys r us kitchen aid stand mixer attachment,
it'll ruin your expensive meat... better to put that $50 towards a
real grinder. I don't think any home cook needs a commercial grinder
but if you have the bucks, the space, and the strength to lift it go
for it. The Waring Pro gives a high quality grind, and Cabela's has a
great price:
http://i41.tinypic.com/o8fcp4.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/9zq9eb.jpg