Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meat Grinder Recommendation?

I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:10:42 -0800 (PST), merryb > wrote:

>I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

It has an anemic motor. I had one, and dumped it.

Go to http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/mea...ders_food.aspx and get the
Maverick 5501 for $99. It's a superior machine, and comes with three standard #8
grinding plates.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

Here's a #12 for $100 (about what I paid for mine 5+ years ago):
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> merryb wrote:
>> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

> Here's a #12 for $100 (about what I paid for mine 5+ years ago):
> http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267
>
> -Bob

Merry I asked about meat grinders here not very long ago and some suggested
that the KitchenAid mixer attachment worked well enough unless you're going
into a really serious production. Not nearly as pricey as a separate
appliance and finding space to house it. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

A repost, just as applicable in this case...

From what I gather, there is now only one 110V non-commercial meat
grinder/mincer on the American market which is not produced in
China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan Panasonic MK-G20NR-W (available on
Amazon).

In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. I
like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
<http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Grinder >.
This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
anything about this particular retailer. Otherwise, these mincers may
have to be ordered from abroad.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:28:34 +0100, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>merryb > wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

>A repost, just as applicable in this case...
>
>From what I gather, there is now only one 110V non-commercial meat
>grinder/mincer on the American market which is not produced in
>China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan Panasonic MK-G20NR-W (available on
>Amazon).
>
>In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. I
>like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
>Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
><http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Grinder >.
>This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
>anything about this particular retailer. Otherwise, these mincers may
>have to be ordered from abroad.
>
>Victor

I have that Moulinex (2nd one listed at that cite), if it can be
obtained at that price ($85) buy it, it's a wonderful grinder. It's
made in France, I bought mine when on a vacation in Canada 20 years
ago and paid more than $85. A few years ago I upgraded to a larger
grinder, the Waring Pro... the larger the grinder the better the
grind. Cabela's has a large selection of grinders to suit all needs.
Don't even consider that toys r us kitchen aid stand mixer attachment,
it'll ruin your expensive meat... better to put that $50 towards a
real grinder. I don't think any home cook needs a commercial grinder
but if you have the bucks, the space, and the strength to lift it go
for it. The Waring Pro gives a high quality grind, and Cabela's has a
great price:
http://i41.tinypic.com/o8fcp4.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/9zq9eb.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 9:11*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > merryb wrote:
> >> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

> > Here's a #12 for $100 (about what I paid for mine 5+ years ago):
> >http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267

> > -Bob

> Merry I asked about meat grinders here not very long ago and some suggested
> that the KitchenAid mixer attachment worked well enough unless you're going
> into a really serious production. *Not nearly as pricey as a separate
> appliance and finding space to house it. *Polly

I have the attachment, but does not meet my needs...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 8:27*pm, wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:10:42 -0800 (PST), merryb > wrote:
> >I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

> It has an anemic motor. I had one, and dumped it.
>
> Go tohttp://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/meat_grinders_food.aspxand get the
> Maverick 5501 for $99. It's a superior machine, and comes with three standard #8
> grinding plates.
>
> -- Larry

Thank you for your reply- just what I wanted to know! Guess I'll do a
bit more research.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:47:35 -0800 (PST), merryb > wrote:

>> Merry I asked about meat grinders here not very long ago and some suggested
>> that the KitchenAid mixer attachment worked well enough unless you're going
>> into a really serious production. *Not nearly as pricey as a separate
>> appliance and finding space to house it. *Polly

>I have the attachment, but does not meet my needs...

What are your needs, then?

I have the KA attachment in addition to my Maverick, and it works fine for
grinding 1-3 lbs of meat.

But it does not take a standard plate, so if you want a coarser grind (I use a
1/2" grind for my some of my chilis), you're out of luck, or paying for custom
work.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 11:37*am, wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:47:35 -0800 (PST), merryb > wrote:
> >> Merry I asked about meat grinders here not very long ago and some suggested
> >> that the KitchenAid mixer attachment worked well enough unless you're going
> >> into a really serious production. *Not nearly as pricey as a separate
> >> appliance and finding space to house it. *Polly

> >I have the attachment, but does not meet my needs...

> What are your needs, then?
>
> I have the KA attachment in addition to my Maverick, and it works fine for
> grinding 1-3 lbs of meat.
>
> But it does not take a standard plate, so if you want a coarser grind (I use a
> 1/2" grind for my some of my chilis), you're out of luck, or paying for custom
> work.
>
> -- Larry

I guess something a little heavier duty. I do at least 5 # at a time,
and it stresses my KA too much. Plus, it has to be cut just right and
at the right stage of frozenness? for it to work well. I'm sure that
applies to other grinders, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 6:47*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:28:34 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>

> >merryb > wrote:

> >> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

> >A repost, just as applicable in this case...

> >From what I gather, there is now only one 110V non-commercial meat
> >grinder/mincer on the American market which is not produced in
> >China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan Panasonic MK-G20NR-W (available on
> >Amazon).

> >In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. *I
> >like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
> >Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
> ><http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Gr...>.
> >This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
> >anything about this particular retailer. *Otherwise, these mincers may
> >have to be ordered from abroad.

> >Victor

> I have that Moulinex (2nd one listed at that cite), if it can be
> obtained at that price ($85) buy it, it's a wonderful grinder. *It's
> made in France, I bought mine when on a vacation in Canada 20 years
> ago and paid more than $85. *A few years ago I upgraded to a larger
> grinder, the Waring Pro... the larger the grinder the better the
> grind. *Cabela's has a large selection of grinders to suit all needs.
> Don't even consider that toys r us kitchen aid stand mixer attachment,
> it'll ruin your expensive meat... better to put that $50 towards a
> real grinder. *I don't think any home cook needs a commercial grinder
> but if you have the bucks, the space, and the strength to lift it go
> for it. *The Waring Pro gives a high quality grind, and Cabela's has a
> great price:http://i41.tinypic.com/o8fcp4.jpghtt...com/9zq9eb.jpg

Thanks- I knew you'd have an opinion! I'll take a look.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
>>> I have the attachment, but does not meet my needs...

>> What are your needs, then?
>>
>> I have the KA attachment in addition to my Maverick, and it works fine for
>> grinding 1-3 lbs of meat.
>>
>> But it does not take a standard plate, so if you want a coarser grind (I use a
>> 1/2" grind for my some of my chilis), you're out of luck, or paying for custom
>> work.
>>
>> -- Larry

> I guess something a little heavier duty. I do at least 5 # at a time,
> and it stresses my KA too much. Plus, it has to be cut just right and
> at the right stage of frozenness? for it to work well. I'm sure that
> applies to other grinders, too.

Not really. That Chinese #12 grinder that I linked last night will
grind up an entire cold beef brisket in just a few minutes, and it
doesn't have to be partially frozen, and you don't have to cut it up all
that small first.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-27, merryb > wrote:

> Thanks- I knew you'd have an opinion! I'll take a look.

That's a Waring MG800 model, which may have already been phased out.
Cabela's has the cheaper 300W model, refurbed, for about $60. The
newer Pro (no longer labeled Waring by Cabela) is now 500W and costs
$229. I'd go for this MG800 at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/33ezwt

.....for $160 (free shipping). That's a good price, anymore, if
they're what Shelly claims.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Nov 2011 21:57:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2011-11-27, merryb > wrote:
>
>> Thanks- I knew you'd have an opinion! I'll take a look.

>That's a Waring MG800 model, which may have already been phased out.
>Cabela's has the cheaper 300W model, refurbed, for about $60. The
>newer Pro (no longer labeled Waring by Cabela) is now 500W and costs
>$229. I'd go for this MG800 at Amazon:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/33ezwt
>
>....for $160 (free shipping). That's a good price, anymore, if
>they're what Shelly claims.

The one at Amazon is the very same 450 watt machine sold at Cabela's
for less money but you may need to pay shipping unless you live a
reasonable distance from their store. Tha Amazon deal is good with
free shipping. I bought mine about five years ago from Chef's
Catalog, I paid $160 +shipping. It was meant as a gift for my
daughter but she said she'd never use it so I used it and retired my
Moulinex. If you can buy that Moulinex in Victor's post for $85 grab
it, it's a size smaller than the Waring Pro but I think it's designed
far better, the grinding head attaches much better and it has avery
nice storage compartment for blades and plates... it's plenty powerful
enough for the home kitchen. BTW, meat should be cold for grinding
but never partially frozen, then it's no longer fresh meat... Isuppose
that's okay if you'r egoing to freeze it anyway or you'r egoing to use
it for chili, but for burgers you want fresh never frozen meat...
freezing breaks the cells and the meal will lose a lot of moisture and
make dry burgers. With either of these machines you don't need to put
meat in the freezer to get a good grind, just keep everything cold for
food safety... I place the grinding head and bowl in my freezer to
chill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 9:47*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:28:34 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>

> >merryb > wrote:

> >> I'm looking at the Waring 800...158.00 on Amazon with free shipping.

> >A repost, just as applicable in this case...

> >From what I gather, there is now only one 110V non-commercial meat
> >grinder/mincer on the American market which is not produced in
> >China/Laogai: the made-in-Japan Panasonic MK-G20NR-W (available on
> >Amazon).

> >In the 220-240V category, there is a choice of producing countries. *I
> >like the made-in-Germany Braun Power Plus 1300 (also labelled G1300K).
> >Some US distributors carry this and other such mincers, for example
> ><http://www.newkunst.com/cat.asp?mCat=Small%20Appliance&sCat=Meat%20Gr...>.
> >This is just an example, not a personal recommendation, as I do not know
> >anything about this particular retailer. *Otherwise, these mincers may
> >have to be ordered from abroad.

> >Victor

> I have that Moulinex (2nd one listed at that cite), if it can be
> obtained at that price ($85) buy it, it's a wonderful grinder. *It's
> made in France, I bought mine when on a vacation in Canada 20 years
> ago and paid more than $85. *A few years ago I upgraded to a larger
> grinder, the Waring Pro... the larger the grinder the better the
> grind. *Cabela's has a large selection of grinders to suit all needs.
> Don't even consider that toys r us kitchen aid stand mixer attachment,
> it'll ruin your expensive meat... better to put that $50 towards a
> real grinder. *I don't think any home cook needs a commercial grinder
> but if you have the bucks, the space, and the strength to lift it go
> for it. *The Waring Pro gives a high quality grind, and Cabela's has a
> great price:http://i41.tinypic.com/o8fcp4.jpghtt...com/9zq9eb.jpg

That's a load of hamburg!! What cut or cuts of meat is in the hopper?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 3:35*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2011 21:57:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2011-11-27, merryb > wrote:

> >> Thanks- I knew you'd have an opinion! I'll take a look.

> >That's a Waring MG800 model, which may have already been phased out.
> >Cabela's has the cheaper 300W model, refurbed, for about $60. *The
> >newer Pro (no longer labeled Waring by Cabela) is now 500W and costs
> >$229. *I'd go for this MG800 at Amazon:

> >http://tinyurl.com/33ezwt

> >....for $160 (free shipping). *That's a good price, anymore, if
> >they're what Shelly claims.

> The one at Amazon is the very same 450 watt machine sold at Cabela's
> for less money but you may need to pay shipping unless you live a
> reasonable distance from their store. *Tha Amazon deal is good with
> free shipping. *I bought mine about five years ago from Chef's
> Catalog, I paid $160 +shipping. *It was meant as a gift for my
> daughter but she said she'd never use it so I used it and retired my
> Moulinex. *If you can buy that Moulinex in Victor's post for $85 grab
> it, it's a size smaller than the Waring Pro but I think it's designed
> far better, the grinding head attaches much better and it has *avery
> nice storage compartment for blades and plates... it's plenty powerful
> enough for the home kitchen. *BTW, meat should be cold for grinding
> but never partially frozen, then it's no longer fresh meat... Isuppose
> that's okay if you'r egoing to freeze it anyway or you'r egoing to use
> it for chili, but for burgers you want fresh never frozen meat...
> freezing breaks the cells and the meal will lose a lot of moisture and
> make dry burgers. *With either of these machines you don't need to put
> meat in the freezer to get a good grind, just keep everything cold for
> food safety... I place the grinding head and bowl in my freezer to
> chill.

Thanks Sheldon- I have a Cabela's about 20 miles south of me, so it
may be worth the time...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-27, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2011 21:57:01 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> The one at Amazon is the very same 450 watt machine sold at Cabela's
> for less money but you may need to pay shipping unless you live a
> reasonable distance from their store.

Yer right, it's on sale fer $129. Ya gotz $40 to pay fer 14 lbs of
shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/7kldve6

nb

--
vi ....the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-11-28, merryb > wrote:

> Thanks Sheldon- I have a Cabela's about 20 miles south of me, so it
> may be worth the time...

Go fer it! It's on sale fer $129! See my other post.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 7:50*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2011-11-28, merryb > wrote:
>
> > Thanks Sheldon- I have a Cabela's about 20 miles south of me, so it
> > may be worth the time...

> Go fer it! *It's on sale fer $129! *See my other post.
>
> nb

I just might!