David C Breeden

Default Copper Sulfate

MikeMTM ) wrote:
>Dave,

>I think it has been found to be convenient, perhaps by empirical means
>rather than by calculation, to use a simple 1% soln of copper sulfate
>pentahydrate, where 150ml in 1000gal wine yields about 0.1mg/liter. My
>(unimpeachable) reference for this is Lum's manual, pg 72. ;-) I guess
>the fact that it's only really 25% Cu has already been taken into
>account. But Margalit, in "Winery Technology & Operations", pg 151,
>does speak of adding copper sulfate solution to get 0.05-0.5 ppm copper,
>without mentioning volume, so I guess that would require further
>calculation.
>I like Lum's simpler way.

>Regards, Mike MTM

My memory is of having a devil of a time converting between various
measures of copper sulfate, including Margalit's. I can't remember
why his was such a pain, but somehow it was.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, though. 0.05 - 0.5 ppm
implicitly references volume, because it just means 0.05 -0.5
mg/liter.

Dave
Dave Breeden