Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John Smythe John Smythe is offline

Default smoked turkey...starting early

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 23:12:21 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> "Charly Horse" <no.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Getting an early start I know, but I am going to do a couple of
>>> trial runs before the "BIG" one
>>>
>>> I want to do a smoked turkey for T-day this year. I have done
>>> them in
>>> the past on my old offset but I got really varied results raw to
>>> over done,
>>> and cajun style, black on outside raw in middle. The flavor
>>> lacked, I attribute that to lack of heat control and my lack of
>>> prep.. I'm a cheap sort so yeah I'll be buying the routine frozen
>>> bird hopefully at 40 cents a pound. In the 12-18 range with an
>>> "enhanced" solution in it. I am dubious brining works on these.
>>> I've read low temps for 10 plus hours but
>>> It's not brisket why slow? I am leaning to apple if I can find
>>> some good chunks
>>>

>> I've smoked a number of turkeys in the past with very good results.

Snipped a big bunch of kent's bull shit, mind altering, sure to make normal
people sick brining/smoking techniques

>> As a certified tightwad I do the above routinely with low priced
>> supermarket turkey. To brine, use a 2.5 gallon Hefty Ziploc bag. It
>> will hold a turkey up to about 14lb.

> Everybody known by now that Kent is an idiot, right? Please don't try
> this at home. This method is reserved for Kent and his soon to be
> poisoned family.
>
> -sw

Ya butt,,,,,

he doesn't talk about brining in his garage any more. At least THAT part
is an improvement. Maybe he did get sick the last time he brined outside
over night but just won't admit it? I know for fact that kent's brining
methods have killed more than just a few of his brain cells.