jmreiter

Default raspberry wine advice

Rick,
no, no, no, NO! In my experience, you don't need to pour hot water over
any raspbery must/pulp. This hot/boiling water thing is a pet peeve of
mine. For the most part, it is an ancient holdover from the days before Pot.
Metabisulphite. Cold water would have done just as well. Jack Keller
staunchly maintains that you need hot/boiling water on _some_ fruits to
"set" the color. That may be for a minority of fruits (into which Jack
Keller lumps raspberry). However, I found that this is not necessarily so
for raspberry as I have had successful color retention for up to two years.
Raspberry wine is Heavenly! And I second Ben Rotter's suggestion that
you do a non-diluted raspberry wine. You could add the water which you
poured over the remaining pulp. HOWEVER, I strongly suggest that you check
the TA and the pH of both your juice AND the water you poured over the pulp.
I've heard that a lot of acid can come off the seeds, but I would love to
see if this is true. I'd be especially interested if the is a difference in
pH......
I would stay away from adding any canned puree to a fresh fruit. Have
fun with your wine and let us know what happens.
Joanne

"Rick Vanderwal" > wrote in message
> I'm going to assume that the proper TA would be around .65 for a fruit
> wine....
>
> I do think I would like a larger volume of wine....
> 2 gallons for all those raspberries and all that work will only yield me

10
> bottles, and if it turns our really good, I'd rather have 15 or 20 rather
> than 10.... I once had some raspberry wine and it was HEAVENLY! Very
> rich, balanced, strong raspberry flavour. This past summer I had some
> raspberry wine and you could barely taste the raspberry....I definitely
> would like to have it closer to the first one I tried and not the

latter....
> So I want to keep a strong flavoru concentration...
>
> One thing I also did last night I forgot to write about....I took all the
> pulp and seeds that I had extrated using the Victorio Strainer and the

Berry
> screen....so, absolutely no seeds in the juice... But I took the seeds

and
> leftover pulp, put it in a straining bag, and poured hot water over it,
> extracting all the nice red colour and aroma from the remaining pulp.

I'll