Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Bread prices redux

Storrmmee wrote:
> this is something i am considering atm, made good use of the abm, always
> just used a hand mixer but am reading about the benifits of the nicer food
> processors. now since i rarely make cakes or things that need a big mixer,
> but like the idea of using the bigger mixer or a food processor for the
> bread kneading chores i am curious to hear other's opinions, when we get
> back into the house i would like to make several kinds of rolls to get ready
> to bake and then freeze them. doing this will allow us to cook just what we
> want for that meal, which once we decide the meal will allow the bread to
> cook whilst the rest is being prepared.

Check the Goodwill Store or the Salvation Army for bread machines.
That's where I bought mine (I think it's a Hitachi) for $5. They had
lots of them.

Have a big Kitchenaid stand mixer, but haven't used it much since I got
a KA 5-speed portable mixer. The portable won't handle bread dough, but
it does cookie dough just fine.

A full-sized food processor is handy, but you can get by pretty well
with a couple of good knives and a cutting board.

So back to your question, go with the ABM but look for a used one.

-Bob