Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices redux

On 10/1/2011 6:00 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> this is something i am considering atm, made good use of the abm, always
> just used a hand mixer but am reading about the benifits of the nicer food
> processors. now since i rarely make cakes or things that need a big mixer,
> but like the idea of using the bigger mixer or a food processor for the
> bread kneading chores i am curious to hear other's opinions, when we get
> back into the house i would like to make several kinds of rolls to get ready
> to bake and then freeze them. doing this will allow us to cook just what we
> want for that meal, which once we decide the meal will allow the bread to
> cook whilst the rest is being prepared.
>
> what say all of you who have experience with all three items, if you could
> only buy one of the three, which one and why? which would help most to you
> for bulk cooking and preserving? Lee

I have a Cuisinart processor but never use it for dough of any kind.
Also have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, use it occasionally for cookie,
biscuit, or other light bread making. For breads I always use my Regal
automatic bread maker, even if I'm going to bake them in the oven versus
the ABM. It is so easy, does the mixing, kneading, etc. and then I can
remove the dough and do what I want with it. Use it a lot to mix whole
wheat rolls at holiday time, make a batch, form, bake in the oven.
Meanwhile another batch is making and then will also go in the oven. Did
I mention we have a large extended family? There's nineteen of us when
we all get together. Takes a lot of food to feed our large
grandchildren, the three eldest including the eldest granddaughter are
all around six feet tall and weigh over 200 lbs. The littles are easy to
feed, that would be the two youngest grands and the five great grands,
plus us two old folks don't eat that much anymore. I've watched two
turkeys and a 20 lb ham disappear at a single holiday meal.

All three machines have a place in our kitchen, the food processor on
the counter, the ABM in the walk-in pantry, and the KA mixer just under
the cabinet. All easy to get to.

If I could have only one of the three, it would the KA mixer, the big
one, with all the attachments. Mine is smaller than that and I only
purchased the meat grinder and the sausage stuffer attachments for it.
The one I have will mix and knead dough perfectly well but I prefer the
ABM because I can go on to do other things, like take a nap, while a
perfect loaf of bread is made, takes about 3.5 hours for whole wheat.
Hope this helps.

George