Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bread prices redux

On 9/29/2011 2:39 PM, Nad wrote:
> > wrote:
>>
>> Why not just plow up your back yard and grown your own wheat? As Lee
>> said, there's a continuum and we all find our own place on the curve.
>>
>> gloria p

> Wheat does not grow very well in my state or my soil is not good enough for
> wheat. Especially the varieties that make great bread. I have tried, but
> the varieties of wheat that does grow well here is ok for animal feed. The
> local grain store does sell human food grade wheat from different areas of
> the country. The wheat berries are sold in fifty pound containers. It cost
> less to grind your own flour and for convenience I use an Automatic Bread
> Machine. I make few trips to the market and I save on gas.
>
> I have a small personal hobby farm of twenty acres. Fresh eggs from the hen
> house, milk from my own dairy cow and huge vegetable garden. This is why I
> have an interest in food preserving. This is my place on the curve.

Our hobby farm is 75 feet wide and 150 feet long, I think many of the
folks on this newsgroup have even smaller places. We once lived for
years on ten acres and had another ten acres to grow things on. At age
72 that ain't gonna happen again. Each of us should enjoy their own
place on the curve as others have said.