Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Recipe I made(long)

Storrmmee > wrote:
: thanks, interesting on several levels, i am wondering if firm pears would
: work, i think the almond and plumb would go well wiht each other, Lee
Pears might be very nice. and Jan, I whink all that whipped cream and
icecream would be overkill. These babies wee so rich! I have 6 nice
sized pieces left. I figured I better put them awayof I would regret it
in the morning:-)

Wendy

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Here is lots of prose describing what I did and the recipe I finally made
: > for this cake/cookie. It was sent to a Jewish food mail list, hence the
: > discussion about makign it with margarine. many observant households
: > never make dairy cakes as most festive meals have meat and having to keep
: > 2 sets of baking tools and pans is expensive and space consuming. I solve
: > it by only making dairy cookies and making my non-dairy cakes in loaf
: > pans(like my honey cake, etc) and dairly cakes, like for birthdays, in
: > round layer ones. Of course, I seldom bake these days. but always loved
: > this pastry that I decided to try. Next time I may well use all almond
: > flour, but this is the first time I have used it, so hesitated to go the
: > shole way. I used Trader Joe's butter for the first time and found that
: > it has a wonderful old fashioned butter taste tht seems to be lacking in
: > some of the others Ihave been using.
: >
: > I used Splenda rather thaen the liquid sweetener I have, because of the
: > ease of measurment and my unsureness of the bulking lack in the liquids.
: > I know some of you like those liquide, but I tend to use them in soft
: > stuff like pumpkin custard or in drinks. Not so sure about baking.
: >
: > If you remember, last week I talked abu tusing Splenda in a recipe for
: > that middle European plum cake that is between a crust and a cake that I
: > had from my shul cookbook I edited, Kosher Catskill Cooking(now out of
: > print) tht had been submitted by an excellent baker, the late Hansi
: > Schlittner.
: >
: > Well, I tried it today. It is not a comlicated recipe, but I made some
: > changes and I have some thoughts on, perhpas changing it a bit mor. As I
: > selldom bake now, and am not entertaining for the holiday, I indulged and
: > used pure butter rather than the optional margarine. As keeping carbs low
: > is for me, very important, not only did I use the splenda for all the
: > sugar, but I substituted almond flour for half the flour in the recipe. I
: > Have never baked with almond flour, so hesitated to substitute for all of
: > the flour. I also looked at some recipes in Nechama Cohen's book
: > En-Lite-end Kosher cooking and noticed that they used various mixed
: > flours, but did have some, either all purpose or whole wheat flour in most
: > of the recipes.
: >
: > Hansi's directions call for spreading the dough on a greased cookie sheet.
: > I used a silicone sheet which I sprayed with oil spray. Kind of likea n
: > ice skating rink:-) I got a very thin, almost cookie like product of
: > heavenly taste, but wonder if sme edges to the pan, saa an 11X7
: > ppyrex or even 9X18 would have produced something a bit more like a cake,
: > rather than a giant, soft cookie with great taste. Unfortunately, I keep
: > tring to even out the edges of this and may well even it out completely if
: > I don't stop soon:-) The butter makes is absoutely delicious, so am not
: > sure if margarine and a parev cake would be as delightful.
: >
: > Here is the recipe. I will give both the original and my changes.
: >
: > Plum Cake
: > Source, Hansi Schlittner in Kosher Catskill Cooking
: > Servings-Highly individual:-)[eerhaps 8
: >
: > Ingredients:
: > 2-2 1/2 lbs plums(I used 2 1/4 and had left over)
: > 1 5.8 sticks butter or margarine( I used butter)
: > 1 1/2 C flour(I used 3/4 C flour and 3/4C almond flour-finely ground
: > almonds)
: > 3/4 C sugar(I used 3/4 C Slenda measures like sugar)
: > 3 large eggs
: >
: > Beat ft with sugar well. Add eggs 1 at a timecontimue to beat util nice
: > and creamy. Add flour(s) slowly. Spread on buttered cookie sheet. Top
: > with sliced plums-8 to a plum(I ha smaller plums so did 5-6 slices per
: > plum. Bake in a 350F oven for 45 minutes.
: >
: > Note: This cake uses what are often ccalled Italian prune-plums. They
: > have a reltively short fall season and are oval and freestone. I woudl
: > not try this with other plums, but it might make a delicious peach treat
: > or apple. the plums are, of course the traditional fruit.
: >
: > Enjoy!in either version, but do try it dairy if possible as the taste is
: > heavenly!
: >
: > Wendyl
: >