Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Charly Horse[_3_] Charly Horse[_3_] is offline

Default smoked turkey...starting early

"Kent" > wrote in :

> Charlie, the other posters in this thread are wrong. The Luhr Jensen
> "Little and Big Chief" smokers have been manufactured more than 40
> years. They smoke at 145F at most. The smoking occurs at a lower temp,
> if you smoke later in the year when it's cool outside.
>
> Fish and poultry must be smoked for a longer time and at a lower
> temperature. This is the reason no one in this thread has smoked
> turkey successfully. The meat is initially smoked, not cooked. After
> the smoking you roast to your safe eating temperature. The latter, of
> course is very important. As has been pointed out in this thread if
> you smoke at a higher temp. you dry out the meat to the point where
> it's not edible.
>
> You have to smoke longest with turkey. I smoke 4 hours at least,
> though only after brining, as the Luhr Jensen recipe manual says.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kent,

Well Kent I don't mean a smoke cured turkey but a turkey with a smoked
flavor. You know like we say we are gonna smoke a brisket. I am not
trying to preserve it. I am after all gonna eat the dang thing. In my area
it's seldom below 40 outside until we get close to end of December and
there is no way I'm putting poultry fish or any other meat out for an
extended time period smoke or no smoke present.Perhaps the smoke itself
somehow kills the pathogens I dunno