Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_5_] Brick[_5_] is offline

Default smoked turkey...starting early

On 24-Sep-2011, =?iso-8859-1?Q?TFM=AE?= > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 02:03:07 GMT, Brick wrote:

.. . .

> > Oh yeh, I got me a new toy: Vac Master VP112 chamber machine. I'm
> > in love with a hunk of plastic and steel.

> Congrats on the new toy.
> Unfortunately I've never had the equipment to test that reheating method
> with my own BBQ.
> The reasoning is sound and I have no reason to doubt that it would work
> well with a good initial product.
>
> TFM®

I'm not about to say that it's as good as fresh from the pit because nothing
is. But, I think it preserves the original a little better then any other
method
I know of. The next best procedure(s) is to convert the original into some
thing else. Simmering in sauce of some kind or even a pot of beans
produces a product which is highly palatable and pretty much recognizable
as BBQ. Probably the least palatable, but nevertheless still wholesome is
simply reheating in a (shudder) microwave. Face it people, late at night on
top of several adult beverages, the microwave gets a lot of play.

As for vacuum devices, I now have experience with three types. I have/had
a Sinbo VS280 snorkel sealer, a FoodSaver II channel bag sealer and now
the ARY VacMaster VP112 chamber machine. They all have their advantages
and drawbacks.

The snorkel sealer is initially the cheapest, uses cheapest bags, but is a
little
harder to use. It uses minimal counter space.

The channel bag machine(s) is still reasonably priced, but uses rather
expensive
texture surface channel bags. It uses minimal counter space.

The Chamber machine(s) cost considerably more, are much heavier and take
up a lot more counter space. But they evacuate and seal most any kind of
bag including the cheapest 3 mil mylar bags at about 6¢/ea. Quick, very
easy to use and can vacuum soup without freezing first. Top of the line for
quick freezing fresh meat without losing any of the juice.

If you can dream about a Klose or Tejas smoker pit, you might as well
include a decent chamber vacuum machine in the same dream. Oh, throw
in a larger freezer because you'll eventually need it too.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)