Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Charly Horse[_3_] Charly Horse[_3_] is offline

Default smoked turkey...starting early

Getting an early start I know, but I am going to do a couple of trial runs
before the "BIG" one

I want to do a smoked turkey for T-day this year. I have done them in
the past on my old offset but I got really varied results raw to over done,
and cajun style, black on outside raw in middle. The flavor lacked, I
attribute that to lack of heat control and my lack of prep.. I'm a cheap
sort so yeah I'll be buying the routine frozen bird hopefully at 40
cents a pound. In the 12-18 range with an "enhanced" solution in it. I am
dubious brining works on these. I've read low temps for 10 plus hours but
It's not brisket why slow? I am leaning to apple if I can find some
good chunks