John DeFiore

Default Inkjet printers for labels

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> "glad heart" > wrote:
> > Do labels printed from inkjet printers wear well with the passage of

time?

> The design of the inkjet printer requires a water-soluble ink. This means
> that the label printing will smear easily, even after completely "dry".

Some
> brands of "inkjet" inks are better than others, but all exhibit this
> characteristic to some extent.

This is true with one exception. Epson printers that use pigment (instead
of dye) based "Dura-Brite" inks are essentially waterproof, even on plain
paper. For a long time I used to print labels on an HP inkjet, then spray
them with a clear lacquer like you suggest. Now I use an
Epson with Dura-Brite inks, on standard labels and I can soak a bottle in an
ice bucket without the label bleeding or smearing.

Regards,

John