Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default White mold on blueberries - salvageable?

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Hi - posting from google groups 'cause I'm on the road and w/ a
> different computer.
>
> I brought a container of fresh blueberries with me - they haven't been
> refrigerated for the last two days and they'd already been in my
> refrigerator for about a week before I left. Now they are starting to
> show some white "stuff," which I assume is mold, in a spot or two.
>
> Are they still safe to eat in any form and, if so, should I wash the
> white stuff off, should I just try to avoid the ones that have the
> mold already on them, etc.? I imagine there is a scientific answer
> here but I'd appreciate a practical one. Obviously I don't want to
> give myself food poisoning but I'm hoping this white stuff isn't so
> terrible - you tell me, please. Today is Friday - I'd love to find a
> way to get another day or two, and another handful or two, out of
> them, not so much for frugality's sake as because I'm busy and getting
> to a grocery store will be tough.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

Sometimes there is a fine whitish dust on the surface of the berries. I
think this is normal mold. If it is spots here and there and they're more
dense I'd wash them off and eat. I've never had a problem with that. I eat
blueberries every day and now and then I wash. If it's a few throw out the
highly spotty ones, and wash and eat.

If you're going to cook them, as with blueberry pancakes, I think the risk
of anything adverse would be lessened. When I make blueberry pancakes the
blueberry gets very hot, not boiling, but hot, to the point where you have
to wait a bit before consumption.

Kent