Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Robert Miles[_4_] Robert Miles[_4_] is offline

Default testing meters/strips

On 9/6/2011 12:41 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am considering getting another meter, as those of you who read some of my
> posts here i went through a testing phase to see what foods affected me and
> to try and keep my levels in order, this was partly a learnin g experience
> for me because of having a diabetic brother and partly as general education
> for me of how my body reacts to specific foods... it is now that time of
> year and since the other meter burnt up i am going to try and get a talking
> meter, but i thought before i started looking, when last i looked there were
> several on the market, i was wondering if anyone had a particular brand of
> strip or meter they liked, i thought with experienced long term users i
> might be able to eliminate a few choices, I am also interested in what
> meters and strips you wouldn't buy again,
>
> Lee

I use a talking meter, because that was the easiest kind
to get, not because I really need to.

CLEVER CHOICE Auto-Code Voice Blood Glucose Meter

The model number is too small to read.

However, there's a phone number of the back for
ordering more - 888-777-0737.

Works reasonably well, but apparently only with their
brand of strips:

Clever Choice Voice Blood Glucose Test Strips

You should be able to order the strips through the same
phone number.

One batch of bad strips so far - the blood wouldn't go
into about half of them. Several better batches.

I've also used the Advocate TD-4223 talking meter.
The meter is OK except for a tendency to give strange
readings if the batteries run low. However, as far
as I can tell, the matching brand of strips are now
just too poor in quality to use.

Advocate Glucose Test Strips

I suppose you already know that most of the companies
making the meters make them so they'll work properly
only with their own brand of strips.

Robert Miles