Old 04-09-2011, 06:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Robert Miles[_4_] Robert Miles[_4_] is offline

Default Good food at Mexican restaurants!

On 8/30/2011 5:16 PM, Janet wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places,
but those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the
taquerias are also serving salads. That was my big beef with
Mexican food when we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had
salads and although I love Mexican food, there were just too many
carbs in the food for me. Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where
we had not eaten
before. Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice
chicken breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and
onions on top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and
guacamole. The only problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think
it could have easily fed a family of four.
We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
they would be raw.
So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
might want to check their menus again!

Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so
when one opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was
possible to get all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice
lettuce, instead. Very tasty. FYI, the new entity associated with
McDonald's, Fresh City, has a
"low carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa,
cheese, and guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs.
It's my go-to alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it
because my dad said the food was tasteless.

Well, I don't agree.

I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito
because most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust
McDonalds at all.

Luckily for me, I have no food allergies.

Then you may want to check if there is a Hardee's in your area
with a menu item I've seen at a local one - a low-carb breakfast
bowl. Has eggs in it, though.