Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking
Jonathan de Boyne Pollard Jonathan de Boyne Pollard is offline

Default Cupcakes

>> Fanny Cradock is hardly known at all to the Internet generation, it
>> appears.

> Odd that you should think so: she is widely mentioned according to
> Google, but she is not associated with cupcakes.

You said "cakes" before, and you haven't done your research. She's
widely mentioned in those Google results _in direct association with_
cakes. There's a quotation of her directly dealing with cakes in the
much-mirrored Wikipedia article about her. But it lacks a source, and I
suspect that, like the several contradictory variations of a
much-repeated quotation by Johnnie Cradock, it is apocryphal. For
someone who was on television for 20 years, there is very little on the
WWW about her in comparison to modern television celebrities (whose
every speeding ticket is a matter for news columns, it seems) and very
little indeed of her actual cookery.

>> But nonetheless she and her recipes will be a better guide to
>> what constitutes a cake in a paper cake cup than Mrs Beeton is, given
>> that the paper liners don't appear to have become a mass-market item
>> until the 20th century.

> Paper cases are not essential. My mother baked fairycakes (in what would
> probably now be known as a muffin tin) without paper cases.

A cup is essential to a _cup_ cake. How your mother baked a _fairy_
cake is irrelevant to what M. Duncanson was saying, and of no use at all
in determining what he was attempting to determine.