Old 25-08-2011, 10:06 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Default Cupcakes

I looked to see what Mrs Beeton has to say about "cupcakes".[...]

As M. Lyle said, you're better off looking to see what someone like
Fanny Cradock has to say on the subject.

Old 25-08-2011, 11:04 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking
LFS LFS is offline

On 25/08/2011 10:06, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
I looked to see what Mrs Beeton has to say about "cupcakes".[...]

As M. Lyle said, you're better off looking to see what someone like
Fanny Cradock has to say on the subject.

I don't think Fanny was particularly known for her cakes. Mary Berry
would be a better choice.

And, as Mr Lyle has also pointed out, if you snip all attributions the
discussion is difficult to follow.

--
Laura
(emulate St. George for email)

Old 25-08-2011, 01:48 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

I looked to see what Mrs Beeton has to say about "cupcakes".[...]

As M. Lyle said, you're better off looking to see what someone like
Fanny Cradock has to say on the subject.

I don't think Fanny was particularly known for her cakes. [...]

Fanny Cradock is hardly known at all to the Internet generation, it
appears. But nonetheless she and her recipes will be a better guide to
what constitutes a cake in a paper cake cup than Mrs Beeton is, given
that the paper liners don't appear to have become a mass-market item
until the 20th century.
Old 26-08-2011, 09:54 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking

Fanny Cradock is hardly known at all to the Internet generation, it
appears.

Odd that you should think so: she is widely mentioned according to
Google, but she is not associated with cupcakes.

You said "cakes" before, and you haven't done your research. She's
widely mentioned in those Google results _in direct association with_
cakes. There's a quotation of her directly dealing with cakes in the
much-mirrored Wikipedia article about her. But it lacks a source, and I
suspect that, like the several contradictory variations of a
much-repeated quotation by Johnnie Cradock, it is apocryphal. For
someone who was on television for 20 years, there is very little on the
WWW about her in comparison to modern television celebrities (whose
every speeding ticket is a matter for news columns, it seems) and very
little indeed of her actual cookery.

But nonetheless she and her recipes will be a better guide to
what constitutes a cake in a paper cake cup than Mrs Beeton is, given
that the paper liners don't appear to have become a mass-market item
until the 20th century.

Paper cases are not essential. My mother baked fairycakes (in what would
probably now be known as a muffin tin) without paper cases.

A cup is essential to a _cup_ cake. How your mother baked a _fairy_
cake is irrelevant to what M. Duncanson was saying, and of no use at all
in determining what he was attempting to determine.
Old 26-08-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:04:07 +0100, LFS
wrote:

On 25/08/2011 10:06, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
I looked to see what Mrs Beeton has to say about "cupcakes".[...]

As M. Lyle said, you're better off looking to see what someone like
Fanny Cradock has to say on the subject.

I don't think Fanny was particularly known for her cakes. Mary Berry
would be a better choice.

And, as Mr Lyle has also pointed out, if you snip all attributions the
discussion is difficult to follow.

Looking at the headers can help -

ocalhost

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Member

I like cupcakes
i can make very best cupcakes,it is my favorite
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan de Boyne Pollard View Post
I looked to see what Mrs Beeton has to say about "cupcakes".[...]

As M. Lyle said, you're better off looking to see what someone like
Fanny Cradock has to say on the subject.
I tried the recipes from Martha Stewart. The taste is great plus the design is superb.