Posted to alt.usage.english,rec.food.baking
Richard Bollard Richard Bollard is offline

Default the sweetness of scones

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:02:55 +0100, Mike Lyle
> wrote:

>>> Nonsense. I'm with Peter. Cheese scones, herb scones etc. Some plain
>>> scone recipes include sugar but many don't.

>>You're not exactly with Peter ... unless you are spreading jam and cream
>>on those cheese scones.

>But mark the "etc". Aus and other scones may be plain: you use these
>much like bread. And they can be either separate small ones or one
>bigger round marked into triangles (I think an American reader
>mentioned triangles, too).
>
>As I've mentioned before, accidental experience reveals that
>overcooking Brit-type plain scones results in something not at all
>unlike a plain biscuit, so it's easy to understand the AmE usage.

WIWAL, if we ran out of bread for school lunch, my mother would bake a
"scone loaf", which we would use instead. It wasn't sweetened and used
the same scone dough as normal scones but was loafed instead of
bunned.
--
Richard Bollard
Canberra Australia