Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chianti Classico, whom to visit?

On 8/11/11 10:23 AM, NilsGLindgren wrote:
> Me and my wife
> (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti
> Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of
> Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally,
> IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable
> practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the
> traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying
> to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of
> tartric acid ... Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse
> to conversing in broken Italian.

First of all, congratulations to you and welcome back, Nils! Lost access
to Usenet groups is a common problem. If you want an IMO better
solution than Giggle Groups, you might want to try one of the free NSPs
I list below:

news.aioe.org (text groups only, no registration, very reliable)
news.eternal-september.org (ditto, but requires free registration)
news.datemas.de (ditto)
news.tornevall.net (ditto)
usenet4all.se (ditto)

Now, on to your question. I've never toured Chianti, but on the basis
of their wines, I'd seek out the following:

Montevertine in Radda
Fattoria Selvapiana near Rufina
Fattoria di Fèlsina (Castelnuovo Berardenga)

They all seem to welcome visitors and I've loved wines from each of
these estates, Montevertine especially.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton