Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default What to make with THIS mixed lot?

We've got:

fresh tuna (enough for several meals)
fresh salmon (enough for several meals)
a rack of beef short ribs
zucchini
elephant garlic
peaches
nectarines
Cape gooseberries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis)
avocados
Bosc pears
Stark pears
sour apples
most of a loaf of marble rye

We've also got "normal" staples like carrots, cabbage, lettuce, onions,
garlic, and so forth, and it wouldn't be a big deal for me to stop at the
store and pick up any essential ingredients we didn't have.

Here are some of the ideas I have, but I'm not sold on any of them:

1. Grate two pears and use them as part of a kalbi marinade for the short
ribs. But the rack is whole, so there's no way I would actually make kalbi;
I'd just use the marinade to flavor the meat before cooking it slowly.

2. Marinate the salmon in a vinegar-soy dressing and serve it raw with
sliced avocados.

3. Grill the salmon with a maple-soy glaze; serve with grilled peaches or
nectarines.

I think the tuna and the apples would go together well, but I can't think of
an appealing way to combine them.

Any suggestions?

Bob