Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to make with THIS mixed lot?

We've got:

fresh tuna (enough for several meals)
fresh salmon (enough for several meals)
a rack of beef short ribs
zucchini
elephant garlic
peaches
nectarines
Cape gooseberries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis)
avocados
Bosc pears
Stark pears
sour apples
most of a loaf of marble rye

We've also got "normal" staples like carrots, cabbage, lettuce, onions,
garlic, and so forth, and it wouldn't be a big deal for me to stop at the
store and pick up any essential ingredients we didn't have.

Here are some of the ideas I have, but I'm not sold on any of them:

1. Grate two pears and use them as part of a kalbi marinade for the short
ribs. But the rack is whole, so there's no way I would actually make kalbi;
I'd just use the marinade to flavor the meat before cooking it slowly.

2. Marinate the salmon in a vinegar-soy dressing and serve it raw with
sliced avocados.

3. Grill the salmon with a maple-soy glaze; serve with grilled peaches or
nectarines.

I think the tuna and the apples would go together well, but I can't think of
an appealing way to combine them.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cook the tuna and make into a salad with the apples, Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> We've got:
>
> fresh tuna (enough for several meals)
> fresh salmon (enough for several meals)
> a rack of beef short ribs
> zucchini
> elephant garlic
> peaches
> nectarines
> Cape gooseberries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis)
> avocados
> Bosc pears
> Stark pears
> sour apples
> most of a loaf of marble rye
>
> We've also got "normal" staples like carrots, cabbage, lettuce, onions,
> garlic, and so forth, and it wouldn't be a big deal for me to stop at the
> store and pick up any essential ingredients we didn't have.
>
> Here are some of the ideas I have, but I'm not sold on any of them:
>
> 1. Grate two pears and use them as part of a kalbi marinade for the short
> ribs. But the rack is whole, so there's no way I would actually make
> kalbi; I'd just use the marinade to flavor the meat before cooking it
> slowly.
>
> 2. Marinate the salmon in a vinegar-soy dressing and serve it raw with
> sliced avocados.
>
> 3. Grill the salmon with a maple-soy glaze; serve with grilled peaches or
> nectarines.
>

> I think the tuna and the apples would go together well, but I can't think
> of an appealing way to combine them.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:36:22 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>cook the tuna and make into a salad with the apples, Lee

Tuna and apples go well with curry.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara replied to Lee:

>> cook the tuna and make into a salad with the apples, Lee

> Tuna and apples go well with curry.

Good idea! But for some reason it got me thinking of a kind of tuna curry
Waldorf salad, and that might not be so good.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

never had that but it sounds good, Lee
"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:36:22 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>cook the tuna and make into a salad with the apples, Lee

> Tuna and apples go well with curry.
>
> Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

its so hot right now i am focused on cold foods, which i normally don't
like, but right now... cooler is better, its just now six am and its eighty
with a heat index of eighty five, Lee
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
b.com...
> Tara replied to Lee:
>
>>> cook the tuna and make into a salad with the apples, Lee

>> Tuna and apples go well with curry.

> Good idea! But for some reason it got me thinking of a kind of tuna curry
> Waldorf salad, and that might not be so good.
>
> Bob

mixed congee tert in seattle General Cooking 12 15-09-2012 01:15 AM
How to make shaved ice for mixed drinks? Oingofan General 4 29-11-2005 05:09 PM
I can make great wine WHY? can't I make grape Jelly HonkingGoose Preserving 6 12-10-2005 03:21 AM
TN: mixed bag [email protected] Wine 1 15-09-2005 08:49 PM
Mixed Black??? John Tanzini Winemaking 2 02-09-2004 02:14 AM