Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New use for my meat mallet

On 7/27/2011 2:06 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Jul 27, 9:34 am, > wrote:
>> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
>> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
>> and got out my meat mallet. Just the right weight and it propped
>> nicely on the side of the small skillet. Yay - one less gadget to
>> buy, store and clean.
>>
>> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
>> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>>
>> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
>> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of
>> doing garlic.

> just rinse your hands in running water and let the paper go down the
> disposal.

On the other hand, I don't have a meat mallet but successfully use the
rubber mallet from my workshop for flattening chicken breasts and
cutlets. Since the meat is wrapped in plastic or wax paper, there is no
problem with contamination. I use the side of my heaviest knife for garlic.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*