Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New use for my meat mallet

I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
and got out my meat mallet. Just the right weight and it propped
nicely on the side of the small skillet. Yay - one less gadget to
buy, store and clean.

I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.

What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of
doing garlic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

just rinse your hands in running water and let the paper go down the
disposal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:34:47 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia wrote:

> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

most often lately i've been using the flat side of my meat tenderizer to
crack ice cubes (in a heavy plastic bag).

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

The only way to get that sticky off is to wash it off, at least that's
what I've found.
I always just use the flat side of the knife and give it a whack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:06:18 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> > I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> > apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> > and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> > nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> > buy, store and clean.
> >
> > I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> > that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
> >
> > What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> > ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> > doing garlic.

> just rinse your hands in running water and let the paper go down the
> disposal.

The only time garlic "paper" sticks to my fingers is when I don't
smash it enough first. I don't know why, maybe it's because not
enough garlic oil is released - but there's no problem if I smush it
enough. I don't usually want slices or perfect dice, so smushing and
a subsequent fine chop suits me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:44:25 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I always just use the flat side of the knife and give it a whack.

Me too. It's one less thing to wash since I'm using it anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2011 2:06 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Jul 27, 9:34 am, > wrote:
>> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
>> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
>> and got out my meat mallet. Just the right weight and it propped
>> nicely on the side of the small skillet. Yay - one less gadget to
>> buy, store and clean.
>>
>> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
>> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>>
>> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
>> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of
>> doing garlic.

> just rinse your hands in running water and let the paper go down the
> disposal.

On the other hand, I don't have a meat mallet but successfully use the
rubber mallet from my workshop for flattening chicken breasts and
cutlets. Since the meat is wrapped in plastic or wax paper, there is no
problem with contamination. I use the side of my heaviest knife for garlic.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

You don't need a meat mallet. I use the bottom of a frying pan.
Works extremely well if you also put the meat in a ziplock bake. For
browning you can also place the frying pan on top of your meat during
cooking.

http://www.rochardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 12:34*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.

My mallet -- a recent gift -- isn't nearly big enough for that use.

> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.

Roll the clove between your palms to loosen the skin without the
clove's without exuding sticky juice.

> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

Running water.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:44:25 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> I always just use the flat side of the knife and give it a whack.

> Me too. It's one less thing to wash since I'm using it anyway.
>
> --

Same here. I'm usually going to chop it anyway so I just whack it with the
knife. Occasionally I do want garlic slivers so I don't want to crush it
too much. But the flat side of the knife does the trick.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)

You mean like a bacon press? Something like that?

> and got out my meat mallet. Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.

I use mine for tenderizing round steak. Not much else.

> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

I think you're crushing it too much if it gets all sticky. Either that or
you've got some uber fresh garlic!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:21:27 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins >
wrote:

>On Jul 27, 12:34*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
>> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
>> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
>> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
>> buy, store and clean.

>My mallet -- a recent gift -- isn't nearly big enough for that use.
>
>> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
>> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.

>Roll the clove between your palms to loosen the skin without the
>clove's without exuding sticky juice.
>
>> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
>> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
>> doing garlic.

>Shove finger up my ass.
>
>Jerry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

My wife uses one of those rubber tubes to remove the garlic skin. Then
she just shakes the skin into the garbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 27, 9:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> I have debated about buying one of those flat weights with a handle to
> apply pressure to stuff browning in a pan (think Veggie Burgers etc)
> and got out my meat mallet. *Just the right weight and it propped
> nicely on the side of the small skillet. *Yay - one less gadget to
> buy, store and clean.
>
> I use it seldom for meat, but one whack at a clove of garlic loosens
> that paper nicely and crushes the clove slightly.
>
> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M
> ought to look into it for temporary stickiness. *Hate that part of
> doing garlic.

***You've got the NG's permission to use the "tenderizer" side of the
mallet to Bonk Chemo the Clown upside his Gord next time he posts one
of his boneheaded recipes...That last one he posted really left a lot
to be desired...:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sycophant wrote:

>> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M ought to
>> look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of doing garlic.

> Wear gloves...

....which you steal from your employer?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap wrote:

>> What's a good way to de-stick that garlic paper from fingers? 3M ought to
>> look into it for temporary stickiness. Hate that part of doing garlic.

> My wife uses one of those rubber tubes to remove the garlic skin. Then she
> just shakes the skin into the garbage.

I was skeptical about the rubber tube, but it really does a great job.

Bob