Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tommy Joe Tommy Joe is offline

Default Tonight I made something I've never made before - Potato AndCheese Pierogi

On Jul 16, 9:33*pm, George > wrote:

> I am in PA. The deep fried are usually those industrial "MrsT" brand.
> Best are from the church picnics. Local one just had theirs last week
> and they always have homemade pierogies.
>
> There is a local Ukranian church that doesn't do picnics but they do
> much more frequent fundraisers and they always have homemade pierogies
> and borsht.

Oh I agree, I always assumed the deep-fried tavern perogies were
some known commercial brand, but I never went far enough to check it
out because I didn't care. It's still a great treat in a bar though.
When I was growing up Allentown was mainly Pennsylvania Dutch, which
just means they're Germans who settled in Pennsylvania. But with the
arrival of immigrants into that one small area called the Ward also
came the arrival of new foods that branched out and became commonplace
to the whole area. I haven't had perogies in years, not searching,
don't care enough - but the ones my grandmother made were from
scratch, and I always assumed the tavern ones were brought in in
frozen bags like french fries or whatever else the deep fryer
accepts. Yeah, I bought the Mrs T brand once about 30 years ago just
to see - not so good, not so good at all. But I was not surprised by
that. Not only tasteless, but also quite thin and sparse. Ever have
them made with sauerkraut? One of those for every 3 with potato and
cheese seemed a nice ratio for me.

TJ