Vox Humana

Default Cool Whip

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > <Alan > wrote in message

> > > thlink.net...

can
> be

used

> > cookies.

> no

> and

frosting.

> of

you
> > like

> don't

> Cool

vanilla

maybe
> > twice

whipped

> > > I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
> > > come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
> > > taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
> > > taster could tell the difference!
> > >
> > > I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.
> > >

> > You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that

you
> > couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items

but
> > they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that

> aren't
> > heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool

Whip.
> > I also think it is too sweet.
> >

> Over the holiday season I sampled some rum punch which had an overly
> generous amount of Cool Whip added. I thought it was terrible. Thick gooey
> stuff. Could almost cut it with a knife.
>
> Besides, I couldn't taste the rum. Bah humbug!

Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same
category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and
powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are the
right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.