Posted to rec.food.cooking
T[_5_] T[_5_] is offline

Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

In article >, baz@country says...

> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>
> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> anyway?
>
> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> this way.......
>
> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> such an unusual way to cook.....
>
> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.

The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.

I put a comment on the vid that said:

"Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
masses.

So total cook time, 18 minutes.

I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.