Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" <baz@country oz.net> wrote:
> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>
> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> anyway?
>
> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> this way.......
>
> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> such an unusual way to cook.....
>
> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
regale you with the details.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 05:05:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" <baz@country oz.net> wrote:
>> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
>> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>>
>> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
>> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
>> anyway?
>>
>> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
>> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
>> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
>> this way.......
>>
>> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
>> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
>> such an unusual way to cook.....
>>
>> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>>
>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>Yes, Bryan and I.

Forever!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, baz@country says...

> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>
> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> anyway?
>
> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> this way.......
>
> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> such an unusual way to cook.....
>
> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>
> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.

The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.

I put a comment on the vid that said:

"Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
masses.

So total cook time, 18 minutes.

I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 7:05*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" <baz@country oz.net> wrote:
>

> > It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> > anyone here ever cooked in this way?

> > It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> > would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> > anyway?

> > I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
> > internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> > site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> > this way.......

> > If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> > dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> > such an unusual way to cook.....

> >http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

> > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
> roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
> times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
> regale you with the details.

I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
fluctuations somewhat

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 7:28*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 05:05:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
>

> > wrote:
> >On Jun 4, 2:12 am, " Bigbazza" <baz@country oz.net> wrote:
> >> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> >> anyone here ever cooked in this way?

> >> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> >> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> >> anyway?

> >> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
> >> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> >> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> >> this way.......

> >> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> >> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> >> such an unusual way to cook.....

> >>http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

> >> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> >Yes, Bryan and I.

> Forever! *

You're projecting Sheldon. Everyone here knows how badly you wish
that you had a boyfriend.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 9:10*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 7:05*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" <baz@country oz.net> wrote:

> > > It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> > > anyone here ever cooked in this way?

> > > It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
> > > would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> > > anyway?

> > > I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
> > > internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
> > > site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
> > > this way.......

> > > If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> > > dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> > > such an unusual way to cook.....

> > >http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

> > > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> > Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
> > roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
> > times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
> > regale you with the details.

> I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
> fluctuations somewhat

So how's that working out?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 9:23*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Jun 4, 9:10*am, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
> > > roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
> > > times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
> > > regale you with the details.

> > I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
> > fluctuations somewhat

> So how's that working out?

Haven't tried it yet.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"T" > wrote in message
> In article >, baz@country says...
>>
>> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
>> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>>
>> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
>> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
>> anyway?
>>
>> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of
>> my
>> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a
>> web
>> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to
>> make
>> this way.......
>>
>> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or
>> just
>> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
>> such an unusual way to cook.....
>>
>> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>>
>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
> Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.
>
> The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
> steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.
>
> I put a comment on the vid that said:
>
> "Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
> 4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
> once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
> masses.
>
> So total cook time, 18 minutes.
>
> I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
> about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
> rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.

When you sear as above you get a grey band under the sear. When you cook a
steak sous vide you end up with edge to edge uniformity of color and
temperature. You sear either before or after over very high heat on a saute
pan or on a Salamader high temp. infrared broiler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan replied to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz:

>>> Yes, Bryan and I.

>> Forever!

> You're projecting Sheldon. Everyone here knows how badly you wish that
> you had a boyfriend.

That's not true. Pussy just wants to suck on something. Could be breasts,
could be Cub Scout "Vienna sausages", could be horse cock; he's not all that
discriminating.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" Bigbazza" wrote in message ...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

SO....Nobody knows anything about this way of cooking then?......

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 13:27:06 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Kent wrote:

>"T" > wrote in message
>> In article >, baz@country says...
>>>
>>> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
>>> anyone here ever cooked in this way?
>>>
>>> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
>>> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
>>> anyway?
>>>
>>> I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of
>>> my
>>> internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a
>>> web
>>> site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to
>>> make
>>> this way.......
>>>
>>> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or
>>> just
>>> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
>>> such an unusual way to cook.....
>>>
>>> http://www.cookingsousvide.com/
>>>
>>> Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>> One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
>> Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.
>>
>> The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
>> steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.
>>
>> I put a comment on the vid that said:
>>
>> "Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
>> 4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
>> once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
>> masses.
>>
>> So total cook time, 18 minutes.
>>
>> I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
>> about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
>> rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.
>>

>When you sear as above you get a grey band under the sear. When you cook a
>steak sous vide you end up with edge to edge uniformity of color and
>temperature. You sear either before or after over very high heat on a saute
>pan or on a Salamader high temp. infrared broiler.

For meat that will be tender anyway, there are two advantages of sous
vide.
1. It's almost impossible to get it wrong.
2. You can leave it for a while in the sous vide and finish it off when
everything else is ready, making the timing easier.
3. (I can't count) You can cook it and then freeze it, warm it up later in
a sous vide and finish it off.
Oh hell, 4. You can cook small roasts, etc perfectly that would be hard to
do in the oven (ok, maybe you could do them perfectly, I struggle with
miniature roasts.

For a lot of cuts the beauty is the way it tenderise the meat and makes it
taste much better than you could get any other way. My first attempt was
skirt steak, melt in your mouth!

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" Bigbazza" <BAZ@ gods.countryt.com> wrote:

> " Bigbazza" wrote in message ...
>
> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?

> SO....Nobody knows anything about this way of cooking then?......

Something is wrong on your end. I just did a search on this group on

sous vide

and got 45 hits for the last three weeks.

It's also come up many times in the last few years, although my normal
news server has a short retention (about a month).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
" Bigbazza" <BAZ@ gods.countryt.com> wrote:

> " Bigbazza" wrote in message ...
>
> It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
> anyone here ever cooked in this way?

I've done a few things. The best corned beef I've ever cooked, for one.
143 F for 24 hours. Some very tender pork chops. I did two halves of the
same not-very-tender beef steak, one sous-vide for 24 hours at 130 F
followed by a quick sear, and the other the "usual" way, just searing
both sides, but a bit longer than the other half. The two tasted very
similar, but the sous-vide half was obviously much more tender.

> It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook

True, but you don't have to stand there and watch it, so why does the
time matter? In fact, "timing" in order to have something cooked "just
right" is no longer an issue -- a half hour, or an hour, one way or the
other just doesn't make any difference at all.

> and when I say 'Cook', how
> would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
> anyway?

for things like that, I'd use a two-step process. Do the meat sous-vide
at the temperature you want it to cook (say, 125 F for rare beef) for
maybe 24 hours, and then do a quick blazing-hot-pan sear to add some
flavor and give it a nice appearance. Tastes fine, and is generally more
tender.

> If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
> dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
> such an unusual way to cook.....

It's a bit different, and it's not for everything, but it can do some
things very well indeed. Try carrots cooked in a bit of butter and a
teaspoon of sugar for an hour at 170 F.

Isaac