General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 70
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,677
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:
It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
regale you with the details.

John Kuthe...
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,546
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 05:05:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:
It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I.


Forever!
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 720
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

In article , [email protected] says...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.

The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.

I put a comment on the vid that said:

"Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
masses.

So total cook time, 18 minutes.

I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Jun 4, 7:05*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:









It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?


I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......


If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....


http://www.cookingsousvide.com/


Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
regale you with the details.


I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
fluctuations somewhat


John Kuthe...


--Bryan


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Jun 4, 7:28*am, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 05:05:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe









wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:12 am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:
It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?


I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......


If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....


http://www.cookingsousvide.com/


Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I.


Forever! *


You're projecting Sheldon. Everyone here knows how badly you wish
that you had a boyfriend.

--Bryan
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7,677
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Jun 4, 9:10*am, Bryan wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:05*am, John Kuthe wrote:



On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:


It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?


I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......


If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....


http://www.cookingsousvide.com/


Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
regale you with the details.


I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
fluctuations somewhat



So how's that working out?

John Kuthe...
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Jun 4, 9:23*am, John Kuthe wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:10*am, Bryan wrote:









On Jun 4, 7:05*am, John Kuthe wrote:


On Jun 4, 2:12*am, " Bigbazza" [email protected] oz.net wrote:


It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'.........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?


I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for *it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......


If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....


http://www.cookingsousvide.com/


Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


Yes, Bryan and I built his sous vide cooker using an electric turkey
roaster, thermocouple and a temperature controller. He's used it a few
times, I think with less than stellar but OK results. He'll have to
regale you with the details.


I also bought a pump which should tighten up the temperature
fluctuations somewhat


So how's that working out?


Haven't tried it yet.

John Kuthe...


--Bryan
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 954
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?


"T" wrote in message
...
In article , [email protected] says...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of
my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a
web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to
make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or
just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.

The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.

I put a comment on the vid that said:

"Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
masses.

So total cook time, 18 minutes.

I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.


When you sear as above you get a grey band under the sear. When you cook a
steak sous vide you end up with edge to edge uniformity of color and
temperature. You sear either before or after over very high heat on a saute
pan or on a Salamader high temp. infrared broiler.



  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,044
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

Bryan replied to clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz:

Yes, Bryan and I.


Forever!


You're projecting Sheldon. Everyone here knows how badly you wish that
you had a boyfriend.


That's not true. Pussy just wants to suck on something. Could be breasts,
could be Cub Scout "Vienna sausages", could be horse cock; he's not all that
discriminating.

Bob




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 70
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

" Bigbazza" wrote in message ...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz





SO....Nobody knows anything about this way of cooking then?......

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 311
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 13:27:06 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Kent wrote:


"T" wrote in message
...
In article , [email protected] says...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook, and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?

I looked up some references to it after seeing a 'Plug' for it on one of
my
internet daily buying sites 'Catch of the day' (I think)......Here's a
web
site that is dedicated to this type of cooking....including recipes to
make
this way.......

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or
just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz


One of my YouTube recommendations was for the Sous Vide cooker.
Essentially a big water bath heated to a relatively low temperature.

The guy hawking it was selling it on its taking 45 minutes to cook a
steak, and then you have to brown it a bit in a pan.

I put a comment on the vid that said:

"Wait a minute. I can take a steak, sear it at high temp for about 3 to
4 minutes a side, then into a preheated oven for ten minutes turning
once and get steaks that are just pink in the middle, and not gray
masses.

So total cook time, 18 minutes.

I don't take the preheat time into account because it takes my oven
about 15 minutes to get up to full temp. So in my case I let the steaks
rest for that period while getting the pan heated up, etc.


When you sear as above you get a grey band under the sear. When you cook a
steak sous vide you end up with edge to edge uniformity of color and
temperature. You sear either before or after over very high heat on a saute
pan or on a Salamader high temp. infrared broiler.


For meat that will be tender anyway, there are two advantages of sous
vide.
1. It's almost impossible to get it wrong.
2. You can leave it for a while in the sous vide and finish it off when
everything else is ready, making the timing easier.
3. (I can't count) You can cook it and then freeze it, warm it up later in
a sous vide and finish it off.
Oh hell, 4. You can cook small roasts, etc perfectly that would be hard to
do in the oven (ok, maybe you could do them perfectly, I struggle with
miniature roasts.

For a lot of cuts the beauty is the way it tenderise the meat and makes it
taste much better than you could get any other way. My first attempt was
skirt steak, melt in your mouth!

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk
Amun - co-owner/co-moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Amun/

  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

In article ,
" Bigbazza" [email protected] gods.countryt.com wrote:

" Bigbazza" wrote in message ...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


SO....Nobody knows anything about this way of cooking then?......


Something is wrong on your end. I just did a search on this group on

sous vide

and got 45 hits for the last three weeks.

It's also come up many times in the last few years, although my normal
news server has a short retention (about a month).

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 899
Default Cooking Sous Vide?...Has Anyone Here?

In article ,
" Bigbazza" [email protected] gods.countryt.com wrote:

" Bigbazza" wrote in message ...

It is the first time that I have heard of Cooking 'Sous Vide'........Has
anyone here ever cooked in this way?


I've done a few things. The best corned beef I've ever cooked, for one.
143 F for 24 hours. Some very tender pork chops. I did two halves of the
same not-very-tender beef steak, one sous-vide for 24 hours at 130 F
followed by a quick sear, and the other the "usual" way, just searing
both sides, but a bit longer than the other half. The two tasted very
similar, but the sous-vide half was obviously much more tender.

It sounds OK, but it does take ages to cook


True, but you don't have to stand there and watch it, so why does the
time matter? In fact, "timing" in order to have something cooked "just
right" is no longer an issue -- a half hour, or an hour, one way or the
other just doesn't make any difference at all.

and when I say 'Cook', how
would something cooked this way, say a T-Bone Steak, or Chops etc. taste
anyway?


for things like that, I'd use a two-step process. Do the meat sous-vide
at the temperature you want it to cook (say, 125 F for rare beef) for
maybe 24 hours, and then do a quick blazing-hot-pan sear to add some
flavor and give it a nice appearance. Tastes fine, and is generally more
tender.

If you have had this type of cooking, either by cooking it yourself, or just
dining on someone else's cooking....Please tell me about it.....It seems
such an unusual way to cook.....


It's a bit different, and it's not for everything, but it can do some
things very well indeed. Try carrots cooked in a bit of butter and a
teaspoon of sugar for an hour at 170 F.


Isaac


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sous Vide Circulators (Was: Sous- Vid(e) cooking) Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 13 01-11-2013 04:30 PM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) [email protected] General Cooking 5 11-11-2010 03:02 PM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 2 10-11-2010 05:24 AM
My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide) Sqwertz[_25_] General Cooking 2 09-11-2010 11:25 PM
Sous vide cooking serge General Cooking 19 29-06-2004 07:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017