Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Freides[_2_] Steve Freides[_2_] is offline

Default Toasted cheese bread

Cheryl wrote:
> I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day,
> along with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. For me, the toscano
> was a bit rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the
> ham and swiss, mayo and lettuce.
>
> I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of
> sliced bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion
> powder along with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid
> onto that some torn slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of
> the bread exposed. Toasted in a toaster oven, and when the provolone
> started to almost turn brown, took it out and then drizzled a little
> bit of olive oil in between the cheese so it'd soak into the bread.
>
> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> dried oregano.

In our house, the hands-down favorite kid food is what we call cheese
toast.

I use any sort of bread I've got around that's vaguely like white bread,
e.g., sourdough is OK. I put on a thin covering of sharp cheddar, plus
a little garlic powder and a little fresh ground black pepper and that's
it. Toaster oven at 400 or 450 until it's bubbly and golden, usually
around 3 minutes.

When one of my kids has a few friends over, we've been known to go
through most of a loaf of bread this way.

-S-