Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Toasted cheese bread

I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day,
along with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. For me, the toscano was
a bit rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the ham
and swiss, mayo and lettuce.

I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of sliced
bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion powder along
with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid onto that some torn
slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of the bread exposed.
Toasted in a toaster oven, and when the provolone started to almost turn
brown, took it out and then drizzled a little bit of olive oil in
between the cheese so it'd soak into the bread.

This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
dried oregano.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day, along
>with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. For me, the toscano was a bit
>rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the ham and swiss,
>mayo and lettuce.
>
> I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of sliced
> bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion powder along
> with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid onto that some torn
> slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of the bread exposed. Toasted
> in a toaster oven, and when the provolone started to almost turn brown,
> took it out and then drizzled a little bit of olive oil in between the
> cheese so it'd soak into the bread.
>
> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> dried oregano.

Take two slices of Trader Jose's Tuscan pane and lay side by side. Place
slices of provolone[or cheese of choice] on top of one bread slice. On the
other slice put slices of ham, and top with cheese. Place both slices side
by side on center rack of toaster oven. Toast until cheese has melted and
bread is lightly toasted on the bottom. Remove, place slices together to
make sandwich. Slice in half and eat.

This creates a grilled ham and cheese sandwich without any sauteeing fat.
The Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane has a very nice sourdough flavor that adds a
lot to the taste. This is good with cheese alone, or with any other
ingredient[s] you want to use.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of sliced
> bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion powder along
> with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid onto that some torn
> slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of the bread exposed.
> Toasted in a toaster oven, and when the provolone started to almost turn
> brown, took it out and then drizzled a little bit of olive oil in
> between the cheese so it'd soak into the bread.
>
> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> dried oregano.

As innocuous as oregano looks in a jar, it overpowers everything that
doesn't have bold flavor. If you'd have added ham, you still wouldn't
have liked the result. Well... at least I wouldn't have. Oregano is
indispensable to me in spaghetti and pizza sauce. That's it.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
>> dried oregano.

> Sounds like a plan. :-) Thinly sliced tomato added to the bottom might
> also be a thought?
> --
> Peace, Om

I use thinly sliced tomato on the top of the cheese, which dehydrates it a
bit. I do this on pizza margharita when using tomato rather than a sauce on
pizza.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day,
> along with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. For me, the toscano
> was a bit rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the
> ham and swiss, mayo and lettuce.
>
> I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of
> sliced bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion
> powder along with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid
> onto that some torn slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of
> the bread exposed. Toasted in a toaster oven, and when the provolone
> started to almost turn brown, took it out and then drizzled a little
> bit of olive oil in between the cheese so it'd soak into the bread.
>
> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> dried oregano.

In our house, the hands-down favorite kid food is what we call cheese
toast.

I use any sort of bread I've got around that's vaguely like white bread,
e.g., sourdough is OK. I put on a thin covering of sharp cheddar, plus
a little garlic powder and a little fresh ground black pepper and that's
it. Toaster oven at 400 or 450 until it's bubbly and golden, usually
around 3 minutes.

When one of my kids has a few friends over, we've been known to go
through most of a loaf of bread this way.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 12:17*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
> > I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day,
> > along with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. *For me, the toscano
> > was a bit rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the
> > ham and swiss, mayo and lettuce.

> > I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of
> > sliced bread. *I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion
> > powder along with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. *I laid
> > onto that some torn slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of
> > the bread exposed. Toasted in a toaster oven, and when the provolone
> > started to almost turn brown, took it out and then drizzled a little
> > bit of olive oil in between the cheese so it'd soak into the bread.

> > This is a do-over. *Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> > dried oregano.

> In our house, the hands-down favorite kid food is what we call cheese
> toast.
>
> I use any sort of bread I've got around that's vaguely like white bread,
> e.g., sourdough is OK. *I put on a thin covering of sharp cheddar, plus
> a little garlic powder and a little fresh ground black pepper and that's
> it. *Toaster oven at 400 or 450 until it's bubbly and golden, usually
> around 3 minutes.
>
> When one of my kids has a few friends over, we've been known to go
> through most of a loaf of bread this way.

Cheesies. Yum.

JB