Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Toasted cheese bread

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>I picked up a loaf of pane toscano bread at the deli the other day, along
>with some thin sliced ham and baby swiss. For me, the toscano was a bit
>rustic for a sandwich for me, but it is still good with the ham and swiss,
>mayo and lettuce.
>
> I decided to try something else with it since it's a huge loaf of sliced
> bread. I lightly buttered a slice, added garlic and onion powder along
> with oregano and fresh cracked black pepper. I laid onto that some torn
> slices of provolone cheese but leaving some of the bread exposed. Toasted
> in a toaster oven, and when the provolone started to almost turn brown,
> took it out and then drizzled a little bit of olive oil in between the
> cheese so it'd soak into the bread.
>
> This is a do-over. Maybe I'll experiment with fresh basil instead of
> dried oregano.

Take two slices of Trader Jose's Tuscan pane and lay side by side. Place
slices of provolone[or cheese of choice] on top of one bread slice. On the
other slice put slices of ham, and top with cheese. Place both slices side
by side on center rack of toaster oven. Toast until cheese has melted and
bread is lightly toasted on the bottom. Remove, place slices together to
make sandwich. Slice in half and eat.

This creates a grilled ham and cheese sandwich without any sauteeing fat.
The Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane has a very nice sourdough flavor that adds a
lot to the taste. This is good with cheese alone, or with any other
ingredient[s] you want to use.

Kent