Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] ridgerfg@novoicenetno.com is offline

Default Smoking Salmon in a WSM

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:25:33 +0000 (UTC), "Heavy_Smoker"
> wrote:

>I'm trying to smoke my first salmon today. I brined overnight and stuck
>into my beloved WSM. In an effort to keep the temps to 140F, I (used the
>minion method, just as all my other smoking activites), I kept the lower
>vents as *closed* as possible.
>
>Well, now I'll well over 250F, thinking I should have thought about this
>more, and severly limited the qty of lump... maybe just to the lump in my
>charcoal starter.
>
>So, can anyone give me some pointers:
>
>1) How will this salmon come out? I can't imagine it being bad, but not
>like I was hoping. I'll cook it to ~160F and see, this ship has sailed.
>;-)
>
>2) How does one keep a WSM ~140F. Maybe just pour (into an empty WSM)
>whatever lump is in the charcoal starter and add more lump as needed?
>

>I s'ppose nothing is lost here. I have two loins waiting in the wings for
>their chance into the smoker. ;-)

I smoke large trout all the time, 5-6 lb. I'm using a side-box smoker
and all i use is one chimney of charcoal and one chunk of apple wood.
When the coals die out the fish is done. Simplest thing I've ever
smoked.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.