Wayne Boatwright

Default Pumpkin pie + graham cracker crust?

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
:

> (Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Thu, 01
> Jan 2004 21:35:06 GMT, during the rec.food.baking Community News Flash
> Wayne Boatwright > reported:
>
>>Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady > wrote in
m:

>>> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the
>>> spaces). On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:53:12 GMT, Floyd Farcus

>>> How would you prepare the pumpkin if you were making it from fresh
>>> pumpkin?

>>Cut the pumpkin in half and oil the cut surfaces. Place face down on
>>a cookie sheet with rim. Bake at 325-350°F for 45-60, or until a fork
>>or knife can easily pierce completely through the flesh. Remove from
>>oven and cool each half on a wire rack to allow excess juice to drip
>>out. Scoop out seeds and fiber, then scoop out pumpkin from rind into
>>large mixing bowl. Mash with potato masher. You may also use a food
>>mill or food processor, however, I prefer the texture produced by the
>>potato masher. Turn mashed pulp into stainless steel or plastic
>>colander and suspend it over a bowl in the refrigerator overnight.
>>This also allows the excess moisture to drip away. The pumpkin pulp
>>is now ready for use. It can also be frozen for future use.
>>
>>HTH
>>Wayne

> EXCELLENT! Many thanks.
>
> Is there at particular type of pumpkin that you use? Can this be done
> with Butternut squash (which is less sweet)?

Yes, in general you should look for smaller pumpkins, and varieties that
are particularly good for pie are "sugar pumpkins" and "pie pumpkins".
They are often labeled as such, but not always. I would try to keep the
size no larger than a bowling ball.

Butternut squash makes an excellent pie, as do other squashes. I have
also used acorn squash and hubbard squash. Prepare other squashes the
same as the directions for pumpkins. If you need to adjust the
sweetness, no problem, although the amount of sugar going into the
typical pumpkin pie (3/4 - 1 cup) is usually sufficient for any squash.

Wayne