Gregory Allen-Anderson

Default Brown Betty

In article >,
(Space Cowboy) wrote:

> There are plenty of Brown Betty knockoffs. I'm in a store the other
> day and see a tea cozy wrapped around what I presumed was a Brown
> Betty. Curious I had the clerk take off the cozy and on the bottom
> was a Made in Japan sticker. An authentic Brown Betty comes from
> Stoke-on-Trent and is made from the distinctive red terra cotta clay
> with the Rockingham glaze. If you can get one stamped by Arthur Woods
> because the 250 year old business closed it doors a couple of months
> ago. You'll find websites if you plug in the keywords I just
> mentioned. Another trademark is Pristine which you can find in
> CostPlus stores in the US.

Arthur Woods is gone?! Thats a pity. I have a very pretty white tea
pot with blackberry decorations & gold trim from them that I bought in
Bermuda a bazillion years ago. Its my 'we have company' tea pot which
seldom sees use because we seldom have tea drinking company. Maybe it
will be worth something someday!