Tee King

Default Brown Betty

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:24:10 -0500, "Henry"
> tripped the light fantastic, then
quipped:

>Hello,
>
>I'm a little bit confused selecting a brown betty teapot. First off, I can't
>figure out which one is the "authentic" one as various retailers have
>various prices. Also the size is what I don't get. I figure 2 cups would be
>enough for me, thinking that would be 16oz., I see 2 cup Brown Bettys are
>12oz. So I guess I'll go to the 4 cup Brown Betty which say 24 oz.. But then
>I see another store selling "2-3 cups" with or without a claimed 18oz. So
>which one is correct? And is the 4 cup brown betty the standard size to go
>by? Thanks!
>
>HK

A "cup" of tea is usually 6 ounces, not 8 ounces. "Standard" is a
subjective term, really...how many people will you be serving tea? A
standard pot for home use by one person will, most likely, be
different than the standard pot used in a tea room. As for being
authentic, a "Brown Betty" is more of a generic name for the
particular shaped earthenware teapot made of reddish clay. As long as
you keep those things in mind, you shouldn't have any trouble picking
out a nice teapot. Welcome to the wonderful world of proper tea.

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.